Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

New year, new bronze CD puck. The best improvement I heard since moded CD mechanic.

Regards,
Tibi

Attachments

• bronze_shigaclone_puck.JPG
    bronze_shigaclone_puck.JPG
    818.8 KB · Views: 1,347
Zeno low noise fast transient power supply

For some time now, I was looking for a low noise, fast transient power supply, that may replace Shiga MKII main regulator.
I was looking for a low footprint, low noise, high current, fast transient power supply. In other words a linear power supply to rule'm all. :D
There are plenty of linear low noise regulators that may deliver up to 1A, but no high current ones.
We end up with a scalable design around tps7a4701 and NextFet csd195xx from TI.
The first prototype was made in May and the results have been very encouraging.
Zeno is the name of this power supply and is capable to deliver between 1A (no NextFet transistors) and 20A (with 3 NextFet transistors) and output voltage can be adjusted between 1.4V and 36V. Output current is limited by heatsink capability to dissipate the heat generated by bridge and transistors.

But how sound Shiga MKII with Zeno as main 8V regulator?
I would call this the most important upgrade.

Regards,
Tibi

Attachments

• Zeno_prot2.jpg
    Zeno_prot2.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 979
  • Zeno_prot1.jpg
    Zeno_prot1.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 957
  • ZenoP1.jpeg
    ZenoP1.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 947
  • ZenoP2.jpeg
    ZenoP2.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 955
Last edited by a moderator:
The story do not end here.
We have redesigned Zeno and addressed several schematic and pcb design issues.
High current traces have been doubled, top/bottom, several parts rearranged in order to dissipate the heat better and stability improved.

This power supply will improve any Shigaclone project, but can be used in a wide variety of projects where low noise and high current is a requirement.

If there is interest, a GB will follow.

Regards,
Tibi

Attachments

• Zeno_final4.jpg
    Zeno_final4.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 340
  • Zeno_final3.jpg
    Zeno_final3.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 364
  • Zeno_final2.jpg
    Zeno_final2.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 375
  • Zeno_final1.jpg
    Zeno_final1.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 424
The story do not end here.
We have redesigned Zeno and addressed several schematic and pcb design issues.
High current traces have been doubled, top/bottom, several parts rearranged in order to dissipate the heat better and stability improved.

This power supply will improve any Shigaclone project, but can be used in a wide variety of projects where low noise and high current is a requirement.

If there is interest, a GB will follow.

Regards,
Tibi

Tibi, I will take you up on that Zeno so one for me, without a blink!

Already running dimkastas LM317 PSU which I find way better than original but if things can get better, why not try it.

Can this replace the one now supplied with Shiga Mk2? If so I too would want one

Zeno was designed to replace Shiga MKII power supply, but is 5mm bigger.
Zeno can be used in V1, V2, V3, V4 position in 1A version.

Zeno it is an universal power supply and can be used in any project that require low noise, high current and fast transient response.

Regards,
Tibi

+1 (or more). Would a GB focus on a plain pcb, a pcb with ic pre-soldered, a pcb with ic pre-soldered and components kit (my preference), or an all mounted pcb?

All mounted pcb.
There will be three Zeno versions:
- max 1A low dropout voltage no NextFet. This can be used in V1,V2,V3,V4. Any other project that require a very good power supply. Amanero, Soekris, PureDSD etc

- max 6A. This is the power supply with one NextFet transistor and will replace main Shiga MKII power supply. You may use this to any other project that require more than 1A. Perfect for RaspberryPi low noise power supply, or to fast charge a phone etc.

- max 20A. This have 3 NextFet transistors and can be used to power a media server main board, or to charge your macbook etc.

Regards,
Tibi

I was able to source few original Sanyo SFP101N-16P mechanics. These are some kind of unobtainium, hard to find and expensive.
Therefore, for those who do not want to hassle with soldering and upgrading, I will offer a limited number of Shiga MKII High-Grade Level1.
Beside modifications listed on my website, these will employ Zeno as main power supply , ADP151 for PIN detector and bronze CD puck.

Here are the modifications:

- Mundorf EVO Silver-Gold OIL capacitor for C8
- S/PDIF divider using best available resistors, ultra high precision Vishay naked Z-foil
- high current, low ESR/ESL organic semiconductor and kemet tantalum capacitors
- decoupling critical sections with silver-mica
- Tentlabs low jitter clock
- 2 low noise LDO miniregulators
- main power supply with Zeno
- all smd parts hand mounted vertically
- Vicol-Audio custom modded CD mechanic
- Bronze CD puck

Mail me with your diyaudio user-name to get 300euro discount on Level1, 400euro on Level2 and 500euro on Level3.
Please allow between 4 to 8 weeks for shipping. These are hand-made by me and I'm getting old and slow. :D

Regards,
Tibi

Attachments

• Genuine_Sanyo.jpeg
    Genuine_Sanyo.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 739
is this thread still affordable related? Peter Daniel started this thread and now it becomes dominated by 1 product which is not affordable in my opinion.

where is the option to DIY the "affordable" transport? currently i'm using pioneer dv-300 as my transport based on lampizator finding, that is what i call affordable when i paid only $30 for this player

is this thread still affordable related? Peter Daniel started this thread and now it becomes dominated by 1 product which is not affordable in my opinion.

where is the option to DIY the "affordable" transport? currently i'm using pioneer dv-300 as my transport based on lampizator finding, that is what i call affordable when i paid only $30 for this player

What I consider as affordable related is the performance/price ratio. Compared with initial Shigaclone that Peter Daniel started this thread, Shiga MKII was evolved a lot and now offer even better performance/price ratio. So I may still call this affordable for the value you get. :)

Regards,
Tibi