Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Hi all, Tibi,
I have printed out the clone circuit as big as possible (A0) for study purpose. I see that Q2 feed pin 18 of connector J4 and pin 3 of connector J3.
I will give that pins a separete 78lo5 reg, this means Q2 is unnecessary
and can be omit.
Mine questions, is this worth full, if yes, what to do whit the pins 11 and 12 of LA6541, they too become unnecessary.
This to separete the power supply as much as possible.
Regards

Attachments

• DiaGraM.JPG
    DiaGraM.JPG
    682.3 KB · Views: 705
Hi all, Tibi,
I have printed out the clone circuit as big as possible (A0) for study purpose. I see that Q2 feed pin 18 of connector J4 and pin 3 of connector J3.
I will give that pins a separete 78lo5 reg, this means Q2 is unnecessary
and can be omit.
Mine questions, is this worth full, if yes, what to do whit the pins 11 and 12 of LA6541, they too become unnecessary.
This to separete the power supply as much as possible.
Regards

Hi zjaakco,

Q2 also power entire Shiga trough L4 bead.
Q2 is part of internal LA6541 regulator which is quite good.
J4 pin 18 is for infrared receiver and J3 is for CD switch door. Changing this to a separate power supply bring no sound improvement.
Trough Q2 a system reset is made by LA6541 at very power on. This is the main reason why this regulator is included in this driver.

Regards,
Tibi

Well, yes indeed...

A new GB is open see my signature.
Full kit will be available only trough this GB.

Regards,
Tibi

CD Puck and trafo not included - what about the remote?

Just so I'm not missing anything... I wan't a really full kit :)

Is this with the rev-2 board?

Can't wait to comparish it against my original shigaclone!

Brgds / Turbon

Last edited:
Hi tibi,

I'm interested on the fully tested kit. Does it include the power
as well? How does it compare to the original shigaclone?

Thanks

Hi Turbo,

Full tested kit include power supply as well, however the trafo must be ordered separately.
From sound reproduction point of view, Shiga outperform original JVC.
MKII will sound even better, in fact I expect a notable difference. :)

Regards,
Tibi

Hey all.

I'm still banging my head against the wall on my second board. First board works fine. Second one I built with the chip set and my passive components still won't read the index track. It seaks for a while, then speeds up the spindle and displays "00".

I tried the mod of moving Q3 and C50 but it had no effect.

Any other suggestions?

I also rotated the transistor on the remote and now it works fine.

Posted this in Swap Meet but I figure this is the place to ask:

I'm building a JVC EZ31-based clone (thanks Peter!) and wish to purchase two of the Citizen CSA309-16.9344MABJ-UB crystals (something tells me to get two due to rarity). In the US I can send a USPS money order with more than enough to cover the parts and hassle of posting them. (I quit my paypal account due to TOS changes requesting very personal information.) I'm also attempting to source the specified Black Gate caps at less than some of the astonishing market prices I've come across. Regards to all; very excited to get this working and playing!