Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Erik, that looks great. Can you tell me what size the blackgates that you are using are? It looks like you have 2 after the regulator. I'm working on getting things together to finally put mine in a proper enclosure. I have lots of ideas but just can't nail down the one that I like the most.

The one before the regulator is a HQ 2700 uF/25V (no Blackgate) the two after regulator are 470 uF/15V (Blackgates) parallel. I peeled the skin off and mounted them in ebony. I think it makes a difference :D

Erik, please forgive my ignorance, but I cannot seem to find what brand the HQ caps and are the BG's std or fk series. I found both sizes of the original ones that Peter used but have not been able to convince myself to buy them yet as they cost more than what I have in the transport all together right now.

It certainly does make a difference, but the magnitude of change is almost negligible compared to a fully wood-modded capacitor.

I will gladly believe that but I run out of time already....:(
However if you have them for sale I am your man...

The 2700 uF HQ I have no further details....found it in my box...but the Blackgates are not the red ones the Black ones :usd: 470 uF/16V I paid around 10 dollars each...the last of the last...:eek:

Last edited:
Anyway..the famous 8Volt connection has been made and it is playing...
...with Agnes Obel ...philharmonics...check it out superb recorded easylistening mixture Bjork/Vega-ish

index.php

index.php

Been working on my old-style Shigaclone for a while now but got seriously sidetracked by other projects. I have finished my "subframe" with the transport sitting on top of that. 8V and 5V regulators (Paul Hynes) are working and giving the required voltage. Everything seems to be rigged up correct (display comes on, only LED is not connected yet), but activating the TOC has no reaction at all... no noise, no movement...nada.
Does anyone have a hint where to look first? I had tried it once before (months ago) with only the 8V supplying the power and traces not modified, and the unit was playing flawlessly. 5V supply is connected as per the official image.

Attachments

• shiga-05.jpg
    shiga-05.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 249
  • shiga-07.jpg
    shiga-07.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
Wow, that's nice. A shame we can't get more of these. I was thinking it would be a great way to experiment with the Shiga puck and see how (if) they sound different.

Been there, done that. Yes they do all sound different - subtly, but definitely different. Its a question of cost and availability more than anything else.....

I used and still use ebony puck and alternate back and forth between that and the standard one.... its worth experimenting alright....

Fran