Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Servo/Ribbon relation

I want to change the ribbon cable connecting the PCB to the laser. In some players though, the servo is programmed to account for the springness of the stiff plastic used in these ribbons. So changing for something much softer in these servos could create a tracking problem. I wonder if that would be the case with the shigaclone, of if its processor would compensate the difference?
Anybody?

Hi everyone,
Been working my way through the BOM and two things have me confussed at the moment.

Is the 18 pin ribbon cable missing from the BOM? or is it supplied with something else?

The other is the cd TOC button SW5. The schematic shows a NC switch in practice it needs to be NC. but the part in the BOM is NO :confused:
I imagine its the commentary that follows that I dont understand
~ "in combination with TrX" :warped:

Can anybody shed some light please?

BTW great job tvicol and friends getting this awsome group buy together.

:)

Hi all,
i'm searching for a dac for shigaclone (will buy one from Tibi) but can't choose one.. i was thinking a WM8741 WM8805 dac but later decided to try a nos dac.. and want to learn your experiments.. which one do you suggest?
thanks..

TE7022 USB WM8741 WM8805 Coaxial Optical DAC Decoder 24Bit with case V1.7 | eBay

Hi-End DAC 8pcs TDA1543 Chips 24Bit 96kHz 115V/230V | eBay

(SUMMER SALE) DAC TDA1541+WM8805 NOS 1.0UI multi-input | eBay

TeraDak V3.1D DAC TDA1543 NOS 31D 96k/24bit & USB DAC N | eBay

Valab TDA1543 NOS USB Re-Clock DAC MK-1 Luxury Version | eBay

Thanks to spartan who sent me several observations by mail.

I´ll put, also here, some of my email comments.

C27 must be 10uF and yes this have major sound impact.
C21 is in fact 100nF on the original board. We will change this as well.
C43 must be around 220uF and will have sonic impact. A high quality one is a must - go for tantalum, polymer, Rubycon ZA.
C48 and C51 are decoupling caps and are related to layout. A tantal 10uF will do a better job than original 100uF.
We have found also that C18 is 47nF on the original.

Best regards,
Tibi

Hi everyone,
Been working my way through the BOM and two things have me confussed at the moment.

Is the 18 pin ribbon cable missing from the BOM? or is it supplied with something else?

The other is the cd TOC button SW5. The schematic shows a NC switch in practice it needs to be NC. but the part in the BOM is NO :confused:
I imagine its the commentary that follows that I dont understand
~ "in combination with TrX" :warped:

Can anybody shed some light please?

BTW great job tvicol and friends getting this awsome group buy together.

:)

Due the fact that 18 pin ribbon cable is expensive and connectors are hard to find, it was replaced with this connector.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

TOC button switch must be NC (Normal Connected).
These are hard to find and quite expensive.
Instead we use now a NO (Normal Open) button who is noted Sw3 on schematic. Q4 is doing the NC job now. In normal state Q3 is saturated trough R53 resistor. When the Sw3 is ON, Q3 Vbe is 0V and current trough Q3 is going near to 0mA, this will change the state to NO.
Hope this make thing clear.

Thanks & regards,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator: