Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

With the resurgence in this project happening, would anyone be interested in the top plate for an enclosure that is machined to fit around the cd mechanism? I'm talking about something like Peter originally used but in different materials. Wood, plastic, aluminum, copper, etc. If there was enough interest I would be willing to make some. The goal would be to do enough of them to keep the pricing reasonable.

With the resurgence in this project happening, would anyone be interested in the top plate for an enclosure that is machined to fit around the cd mechanism? I'm talking about something like Peter originally used but in different materials. Wood, plastic, aluminum, copper, etc. If there was enough interest I would be willing to make some. The goal would be to do enough of them to keep the pricing reasonable.

You bet...I'm interested.

Sounds interesting for me too!

I do. It is not easy to get metal work done in HK.

Shigaclone using RC-EZ51H

I managed to find a BNIB RC-EZ51H for less than £50 which was delivered yesterday. I got the last one from in stock from Power Direct.

I have stripped it down and can confirm that the control board for the transport is the same as the EZ31, with the same marking and design revisions. There are some differences with the interface/lcd board and the power supply but the important bits are the same.
I’ve stripped it down and getting ready for some mods.

Will post updates.

Attachments

• IMG_20120309_122234.jpg
    IMG_20120309_122234.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_20120309_122318.jpg
    IMG_20120309_122318.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 318
I like your solid design and (equally solid) parts choices, billo44. Where did you get that cast iron base?

Thanks! I work in a wood stove import company, I have a small but steady supply of reject, mis-ground stove top cooking griddles.... the top surface is finished on a large drum sander, not completely flat but close enough generally.

I like cast iron because it is pretty dead to vibrations and is an excellent heat sink. Easy to drill and tap as well, but it is a dirty metal.

Cast iron cookware could be an option for weird looking audio projects!
I have to admit I am not expecting an overwhelming positive response to that suggestion!

I kind of caught up with this thread (the bits I understood anyway) and put my name on the list for new boards..., very good idea! I had purchased three laser mechanisms a while ago, I have two left.

Bill

I managed to find a BNIB RC-EZ51H for less than £50 which was delivered yesterday.

Lucky!

I hate to bring this up (especially if it's already been discussed within these 500+ pages! :eek:), but do we know if the SF-P101 mechanism many of us late adopters will wind up using is as good as the original EZ31 that Peter used?

I'd been following this thread for years but never had the guts to try it before. The thing that interested me the most was Peter's indication that this little project bettered (in his opinion) his own ML 31.5 and similar high end transports. I'm hoping the same will hold true for those of us who use the SF-P101.

Depending on the price, I would be interested in a hardwood top.

Because of my location I have to have everything shipped in. That may influence price a little but should not be a huge factor. If all goes as planned I will have a CNC router/mill around the June/July time frame. I'm going to try and get some sketches done this weekend of a couple of different top designs. Since I do not know how the new board switches will be mounted I cannot accommodate for that yet. This is still a work in progress.

Yes, jazz35 will give an exact number.
Do you want to make handmade SMD components ?

Tibi

Thanks Tibi - yes, I am planning to hand-craft my components. I have been doing extensive trials and research into components, especially capacitors and resistors. My hand made caps and resistors sound much more natural than any commercially sold parts. So, although they are very time-consuming to make, I will try to use them where possible in this project. They will not be true SMD by the way, they are much too large - I will have to utilise space above the PCB to fit them.

Hello Tibi,
I'm interested in your GB but where I can find in the thread more tech info?
How much will cost in your opinion the GB transport?
I2s output would be implemented?
Thanks a lot for your help.
Ciao
Guglielmo

Hello Guglielmo,

Can you please be more specific, what tech info are you looking for ?
So far we have the price for IC set. Next week we'll get the price for transistor set and CD mechanic. PCB price will be available when the board is ready and we get a quotation from manufacturer.
Till then you can express your interest in this project by registering to the GB list.

The IC set used in original shigaraki transport do not allow direct I2S output, same here on shigaclone.
If you want I2S output you may use an s/pdif received like CS8416. However, you''ll get a similar chip in almost any DAC.

Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator:
Tibi, does your software produce parts list automatically by any chance? I wanted to get an idea of how many resistors, caps etc. of each type are required because I plan on making them myself (where feasible).
Hi, uncle_leon
I hope the attached excel file will help you. Note that is not the final B.O.M..

All the best, jazz35

Attachments

• Bill Shiga_v1.zip
    7.8 KB · Views: 123