Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

I understand massimo's preference, but I do hope for a ST solution. Many older higher end DACs used ST glass. It's a much better interface than Toslink (for those who can use it).
Tony, I wasn't complaining about the ST optical o/p at all. It's good to have a pcb hosting all possible interfaces. You can chose the one/ones you prefer.
P.S. Toslink is the worst by far IMO

No problem massimo! :) I expect the number of people interested in ST would be small, so I just wanted to express my interest one more time. ;)

BTW Tibi, for coaxial out please tell us you're looking at a BNC output. Regardless of what some may wish to consider (or believe) there is no such thing as an RCA connector which exhbits a true 75 Ohm characteristic impedance. Not physically possible. I'd suggest getting the design correct at the interface; users can get a BNC-RCA adapter if needed.

What do you all think of an AT & T interface such as Erik it has done?
Don't ask me how this works I cannot answer ;)

Hopefully reacts Erik on this discussion ...
See picture:

Regards,
Rudy

Attachments

• ATReg.jpg
    ATReg.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 461
I appreciate that we are trying to improve over the original, and having extra options to choose from is certainly great. But still, the most common digital interface (by far) is SPDIF over RCA, so I would propose to keep this as our "basic" solution. I heartily support Tibi's proposal to design an extra (optional) PCB for all the more exotic connectors and reclocking.

I would like to reiterate my appeal to try to keep this project friendly to the less skilled DIYers, and also reasonably cheap. There is nothing to stop us from designing a new player after this one, with some much more advanced solutions, or hardcore choices.

Seperate boards

IMG_1048.jpg Just to chip in and say that I found separating the boards very beneficial...
Working on my mark II 'classic' clone (silly I know) which has the original black gate configuration. In truth I can't comment on the improvement in sound since too many other factors are also different from my Mk I attempt.
CD Transport (Shigaclone) Version 1, 2011 twiddlingmyknobs
I am using cast iron for the base, it has very good vibration damping properties...
SPDIF output for me since I need to keep it simple... more options sounds good though!

Last edited:
I appreciate that we are trying to improve over the original, and having extra options to choose from is certainly great. But still, the most common digital interface (by far) is SPDIF over RCA, so I would propose to keep this as our "basic" solution. I heartily support Tibi's proposal to design an extra (optional) PCB for all the more exotic connectors and reclocking.

I would like to reiterate my appeal to try to keep this project friendly to the less skilled DIYers, and also reasonably cheap. There is nothing to stop us from designing a new player after this one, with some much more advanced solutions, or hardcore choices.

I'm of two minds about this, uncle_leon. While I appreciate and agree with your statement about keeping this DIY friendly and in keeping with the original concept, history often shows that the "next, enhanced version" sometimes never comes to pass. Given how long it's taken for Peter's (and others') brainchild to come to its current state, I'm not sure a subsequent version with this extra capability will ever have the same momentum behind it.

I would offer that if this base design is considered good enough to be used as a foundation for its own improvements, any such improvements should be considered within the context of being able to fit into said design. If it can be done in a way that allows for these features to be incorporated as desired then I think it will keep the DIY-friendly aspect intact. But such improvemnts may wish to be considered now to see if it will require small perturbations to the current design, to allow for later implementation.

As for RCA out, yes it is the most common interface. Perhaps if there were a way to fit the PCB with the pin and pitch layout for either RCA or BNC it would then leave the builder with the opportunity to fit the interface to support their need? It would then allow for a proper 75 Ohm output to be inherent on the board. For sizing purposes I'd recommend something like an Amphenol 031-70221.

I see what you are saying, tonyptony, and you do have a point.

Another thought has just occurred to me - why any connectors should be mounted on the control PCB in the first place? Most people, I suspect, will prefer to have the connectors mounted to their cases - hence my proposition is, let's leave the digital output "bare", similar to what we had with the original Shiga. The choice (and wiring) of connectors will be then up to the constructor.

The board we are currently designing will have digital output only trough a small PCB connector.
Is up to end user which connector will use.

The reclocking board who will support all possible connectors and interfaces: BNC, XLR, RCA, TOSLINK, AT&T ST glass is part of this project, but we´ll design this later.
A lot of investigation need to be done on the reclocking circuit, AES/EBU trafo, Toslink and especially on AT&T ST glass.
Some extensive tests and measurements need to be done as well.
Therefore this board will come later to complete this project.

Thanks & Regards,
Tibi

The board we are currently designing will have digital output only trough a small PCB connector.
Is up to end user which connector will use.

The reclocking board who will support all possible connectors and interfaces: BNC, XLR, RCA, TOSLINK, AT&T ST glass is part of this project, but we´ll design this later.
A lot of investigation need to be done on the reclocking circuit, AES/EBU trafo, Toslink and especially on AT&T ST glass.
Some extensive tests and measurements need to be done as well.
Therefore this board will come later to complete this project.

Thanks & Regards,
Tibi

Thank you Tibi. That's good enough for me. Can you tell us what the PCB layout and spacing is for the board mounted connector?