Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Joined 2006
Paid Member
....actually with proper symbol....

Attachments

• 5V Bobken Shunt Regulator corrected SML.jpg
    5V Bobken Shunt Regulator corrected SML.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 724
Dear Sirs,I have a question (mostly to Mr.Uncle_Leon, who has done lots of testing). Because I am building a SHIGAclone for my son, I do not have the capability of testing capacitors (I do not have a sound system available). I do have at my disposal the following : MUNDORF 15000/25, PANASONIC FC-2200/50, AM-2200/20, BG-STD-1000/50, BG-STD-47/16, BG-NX 47/6,3 BG-N-470/16, SANYO OS-CON 47/16 and OS-CON 100/16
Which of them (in your opinion) is the best combination for a PS (I was thinking of eg MUN. 12000/25 –LM7808 – BG STD 1000/50 and 47/16 os-con for by-pass), C916 and maybe some other capacitors?
Best regards!

Dear Sirs,I have a question (mostly to Mr.Uncle_Leon, who has done lots of testing). Because I am building a SHIGAclone for my son, I do not have the capability of testing capacitors (I do not have a sound system available). I do have at my disposal the following : MUNDORF 15000/25, PANASONIC FC-2200/50, AM-2200/20, BG-STD-1000/50, BG-STD-47/16, BG-NX 47/6,3 BG-N-470/16, SANYO OS-CON 47/16 and OS-CON 100/16
Which of them (in your opinion) is the best combination for a PS (I was thinking of eg MUN. 12000/25 –LM7808 – BG STD 1000/50 and 47/16 os-con for by-pass), C916 and maybe some other capacitors?
Best regards!

Having those capacitor types, I would probably place my bets on the BG STD 1000/50 -reg- BG STD 1000/50 combination in the PSU. Two STDs will over-etch trebles and mid-bass somewhat, but will give much more accurate sound overall, than any of the non-BG caps. You might try bypassing the first STD with a small BG N, which should smooth out the sound.

Another, possibly better, route is using the BG STD 1000/50 before the regulator and the BG-N-470/16 after - although I haven't actually tested that particular combination. It will definitely work, but the resulting total capacitance will be on the low side, which may have impact on the bass performance. I can test that for you, if you like.

In C916, the obvious choice is BG-NX 47/6,3 - it is in fact the very best capacitor to use here (with the possible exception of exotics like Duelund CAST).

What other parts you are planning to use (trafo, diodes, output resistors)? Is it going to be a stand-alone player, or paired with an external DAC?

Last edited:
First of all, thanks a lot for your response.
I am planning to temporarily use toroid-TRAFFO 50W (Because I already have one, maybe changing this in the future), MSR 860 diodes and tantalium Resistors.
All of the above because I already have them.
In the beginning, I’m going to use it as a standalone player, with plans to build NOS-DAC with TDA-1543 or AD 1865.

What would you recommend ?
I’sorry for my poor English!
Best regards

First of all, thanks a lot for your response.
I am planning to temporarily use toroid-TRAFFO 50W (Because I already have one, maybe changing this in the future), MSR 860 diodes and tantalium Resistors.
All of the above because I already have them.
In the beginning, I’m going to use it as a standalone player, with plans to build NOS-DAC with TDA-1543 or AD 1865.

What would you recommend ?
I’sorry for my poor English!
Best regards

That seems like a fairly decent setup. With your Black Gates this will be one very good sounding transport.
As you say, the trafo might need changing - although if it has a shield between windings, it should do the job well enough.

From there, an obvious upgrade would be getting better output resistors and if you feel like spending a bit more money - better capacitor for C906. Beyond that, I think building a separate 5V PSU might bring the best improvement - although this would require a new trafo, filtering caps etc. - so a bit costly. Upgrading the LM780x to a super-regulator should also be a sure-fire improvement.

How can anyone get hold of a shigaclone transport without having to build one? Is there anybody selling such a design?

I'm also happy to help - although with the electrical side only (not the case/mounting etc.). I keep all the Shigaclone parts in stock, so PM me for the price list if you are interested.

On a side note, I have been sending JVC boombox parts to forum members for nearly a year now, and I'm really glad to see there are still people interested in this CD transport - it has great potential, and sounds wonderful with only modest investment into parts and modifications :) It is one of the best examples why DIYing is so much better than simply buying commercial gear.