Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

First Peter,

thanks for your input, it's very welcomed.

Peter Daniel said:
My current recommendation is to build the transport according to info posted here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1669753#post1669753

That is quite a nice unit Peter, your professionalism shows from inside out. All details are taken into account. I like to work that way also. Except this time, I'm not equipped with milling tools. While I'm still catching up in this thread (P.42), I'm taking notes during that time about how you guys built yours. I will certainly have exotic wood, Plexi and aluminum extrusion. The extrusion will probably be filled with lead since I cannot afford brass or copper.

After getting familiar with a sound, you may consider further upgrades, but most likely you won't need them.

That's what I though from my readings, many people have pushed it to their limit that I wouldn't even dare on a circuit board. Regarding the cap upgrades, again (maybe) to cut down cost, I was asking myself if I could rather use panasonic caps. What do some of you think about it?

The transformer you mention should work fine.

Since I'm more than curious and want to make shure I understand, the theoretical specs of my transformer mention 10-0-10V, what happens since CT has 0, the Shigaclone requires 12-24-12V? From your hand drawn circuit you seem to have used the CT to ground.

For the PS, what fuse size and type should I use?

As to NEC CDR-602, it has a good reputation although I never had a chance to try it out, but my feeling is that properly implemented Shigaclone is completely different ball game ;)

I'm very curious to hear both of them when I'm done, I'd be more curious to hear yours now!!! ;0)

Thanks!

Originally posted by brgds This will be never ending story unless you take a closer look at the boombox schema and LC/LA data sheets and try to understand what's it all about...
You're right
Originally posted by brgds
and wasting time on completely hopeless efforts, the only thing I can say is: I feel sorry...
Sorry for what? Listening to music is not wasting time, it's a pleasure. Tinkering with this stuff is a way to listen more and a game for who is tired of commercial products. I understand that it could seem foolish for a tech insider.

Thought I post a few pics of a puck I made for a friend of mine. Its made from teh same ceramic type material his plinth is made from. I don't know what this material is, but its like a cermic dust in a hard resin. It cuts well on a wet tile saw, you can drill it quite easily with a masonry bit, and it taps a thread beautifully.

Anyway, the curious thing is that it sounds better on his than mine, where the ebony sounds better! Its kinda unbelieveable stuff.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Fran

I would say that if they are electronically identical and tested in the same set-up...the suspension may be the reason.....

The resonances differ...and you are playing/testing with that by means of the puckmaterial......until you get it right...

I noticed over the months what different materials and there particular resonance can do with digital.........I know hard to grasp so I do not even bother.... I simply let my ears be the judge of that and learn from it....

See e.g. in the beginning of the thread what different impact screwing the platform down has... by means of 2...or 4 screws.....later on confirmed by quite a few forummembers...:judge:

Hallo Erik,

This will be my new frond plate 5mm aluminum this looks better than before :)
I am waiting now for the 4 RVS knobs and then I paint the front black.

Rudy

Attachments

• p1010384.jpg
    p1010384.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 954
brgds said:
This will be never ending story unless you take a closer look at the boombox schema and LC/LA data sheets and try to understand what's it all about...
Honestly, when I read such reports on juggling with caps and wasting time on completely hopeless efforts, the only thing I can say is: I feel sorry...

Did you already forget your own reports and countless times you've been changing caps yourself? Maybe you should rather say: "I learned my lesson" and let others learn theirs at their own pace.

This is one of the few threads where there is no "Condemnation without Examination" and lets keep it this way.

Might i add also to BRGDS's comments that i fortuitously changed a couple of the caps in the power supply line and got very positive results which has driven me to look harder. I will repeat that cap change and post photos if i get the same very positive audible results again.

Waste of time??? I dont think so, but can get expensive experimenting.

I have now got my puck with two layers one of aluminium and rubber and another of ebony. The combination is the best yet for my set up. Not as overpowering in the upper bass as the ebony was but neither leaner sounding as the aluminium was. A great in between sound.

But i guess supporting structures for the transport will have a lot of say in the final effects retrieved from the many different pucks made for each of us.

Peter Daniel said:

Did you already forget your own reports and countless times you've been changing caps yourself? Maybe you should rather say: "I learned my lesson" and let others learn theirs at their own pace.

This is one of the few threads where there is no "Condemnation without Examination" and lets keep it this way.

No, I’ll never forget hundreds of hours I spent working on clones with iron and box of caps, listening sessions with my friends, hectoliters of beer drunk, ups and downs, strange comments :) from my family members. Not counting 7 boomboxes used. That was really funny.
However from time perspective I must say that was blind alley and waste of time.
And yes, maybe I should say: my lesson learned is: there are no miracles when you deal with 20MHz circuits, no miraculous caps even those red ones :), and what really counts here and brings best results is regular engineering based on understanding of how this black box works inside.