Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Dr.H said:
I see that everyone is looking for a VERY SPECIFIC boombox, the EZ-31.

Why not just go for any other cheap boombox??

Is there really anything special about the PCB in the EZ-31 compared wioth lets say the EZ35?

It comes from a mass produced boom box, so is there any chance that just about ANY boombox PCB (say Sony, or Aiwa or Panasonic, etc) will sound similar, assuming a few mods were done as per this thread?

No you can't use just any boombox, though there are undoubtedly others that would work. (I'm gambling on the RCEZ32 using the same chipset and mechanism.) The good performance relates to the specific chipset used and the very basic mechanism. The idea behind this project is to "clone" the Shiga**** transport which used exactly the same chipset and mechanism. The performance of this combination is a known quantity whereas others are not.

Imagine trying to build a clone of a 1967 Mustang GT, would you not start with the proper vintage Ford V8 as opposed to a Chevy inline 6? (Sorry for the North America centric example, but hopefully you get the point.)

AFAIK the EZ35 does not have spdif output capability, I believe Peter was looking into this.. Note also that JVC models that have the capability to decode MP3 definitely have a different chipset as well.

Yes, indeed, the idea was to use a boombox with similar chips and same mechanics. It is quite possible that other brands are suitable, but were just not discovered yet.

Somebody mentioned here TEAC: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1471615#post1471615 , maybe it's worth looking into?

EZ35 has different DSP chip with "special effects" modes, and is no good for our purpose.

I decided to purchase the TEAC service manual, and it looks to be totally incompatible. Peter, you have e-mail!

Also, I may have a good source for the RC-EZ31 in North America. It may require someone up in Canada to orchestrate things, as it looks like the vendor is unwilling to send to the US due to territorial restrictions. I'll keep everyone posted. Any volunteers?

Honestly, this is my last ditch effort. I'm made a dozen calls and probably 2 dozen e-mails since I realized that the Amazon seller sent me the wrong item. This is the only solid lead I have.

luvdunhill said:
I decided to purchase the TEAC service manual, and it looks to be totally incompatible. Peter, you have e-mail!

Also, I may have a good source for the RC-EZ31 in North America. It may require someone up in Canada to orchestrate things, as it looks like the vendor is unwilling to send to the US due to territorial restrictions. I'll keep everyone posted. Any volunteers?

Yes, I've seen the manual and the mechanism seems to be very similar, chips are different but circuit itself based on a similar architecture. It may work, but it's hard to say how well.

If needed, I could help in orchestrating things in Canada.