Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have a Shigaclone size problem I have to sort out. I successfully had all the smd's removed and ran the wire from 5a to 5b. I also successfully removed all the R's on the palyermods.pdf. Now, I installed all the BG's and the new crystal and I now have an inoperable shigaclone. It spins up and reads "00" on the display. Hints anyone where I might have went wrong?

Regards,
Dan

:bawling:

Joined 2002
Paid Member
luvdunhill said:
yes, but things seem to sound better with it. I'm compared both side by side with 2 separate transports. I used silver with unbleached cotton insulation.

That is actually possible, as you replace dubious quality PCB trace with a good quality wire. In that case, it may be recommended to cut the PCB trace which is in parallel with a wire.

I would like to thx Peter for sharing with us this great transport.

I would like to share my experience with the RCZ31.

I removed and exchanged most of the part as Peter recommended. I initially used small 12-0-12V with 700mA with BGN1000/25V parallel in Super-E configuration with BGN1000/25V after the LM7808, first listening feel that the sound is not better than my CD-Pro2M unit. They certainly have more air but details that I like in the CD-Pro2M. I change the transfomer to 12-0-12V @ 6.3A......Walla....details, bass control, depth is certainly improved. I would recommend using big transformer, do not waste your time in using small one.!!!!

dantwomey said:
I have a Shigaclone size problem I have to sort out. I successfully had all the smd's removed and ran the wire from 5a to 5b. I also successfully removed all the R's on the palyermods.pdf. Now, I installed all the BG's and the new crystal and I now have an inoperable shigaclone. It spins up and reads "00" on the display. Hints anyone where I might have went wrong?

Regards,
Dan

:bawling:
Hi Dan, make sure you haven't shorted one of the outside crystal pads to the unused centre pad. Did you reconnect the laser ribbon?

Need a 100VA Transformer in UK? low cost, last few.FARNELL

Attachments

• tran.jpg
    tran.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,326
clamp update

1. i spoke with the machine shop forman today. he won't give me a definite estimate until i confirm the tolerances on the center hole and the cd shaft. he tentatively said $75 each made out of delran for a run of 50. other materials will raise the cost. have any others been able to obtain a estimate? i will start a group buy thread once i get the final price.

2. i can confirm the center hole measurement for acrylic. the reamer i used worked perfectly. i heated the bottom of the clamp to 120 degrees farenheit (49 degrees C) and it slid on to the motor shaft with a reasonable amount of pressure. going from room temp to 49 C increased the hole daimeter by approx 0.03 mm. i am not sure that the same diameter hole would work with other materials. does anyone know the expansion coefficients for acrylic, lexan, and delran? i could test these materials but this takes time - something i am running short of lately. how do those interested in a clamp feel about this fitting method?

3. i made a puller (see pic) to remove the old clamp. works well. unfortunately i think i bent the motor shaft when trying to remove the clamp before i had made the puller. does anyone have a spare drive motor from a dead mechanism they would be willing to part with?

4. the clamp as it stands does impede screw access significantly. i think the diameter of the bottom section of the clamp should be adjusted accordingly. please make alternative suggestions.

that's it for now. this post was a little rushed but i wanted to update everyone asap.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.