Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

It seems I have to split the display board along the provided midline slot so I can mount both pieces across the slim front panel I'm building. What's the best way to split the panel without risking damage to the mounted parts?

Also, I guess I need to make the display opening large enough so the IR receiver is visible, yes?

(...)

I also placed the 0.1 uF on the motors.

index.php

I strongly recommend AGAINST this modification. I tested it, and the result was appaling: both frequency extremes were dulled, resulting in a sound that lacked both sparkle and authority. In fact, bass loss was so heavy that in some songs there were notes I would not hear if I didn't know they were there... I used generic film caps (Wima, I think): 0.1uF for the spin motor and smaller 0.022uF (22nF) for the sled motor.

I then removed the two caps I thought were the most dubious - the ones between the - and + terminals of the motors. The sound seems to have regained the bass and sparkle, although I need to do more listening before I can judge this properly against unmodded motors.

uncle_leon, if you're out there please advise. Now that I'm building the enclosure for my first Shiga I'm completing the collection of parts for my custom. Would like to get your Invisistor analysis so I know what to buy.

Hi Tony, I am actually doing these tests today, and again tomorrow with some friends. I will be comparing:
300-100 (the classic L-pad)
125-139-125 (75ohm Pi-pad, 12dB)
100-300-100 ("ad-hoc" Pi-pad by Erik)
and 72-114-157 (50ohm-in, 75ohm-out Pi-pad, 12dB)

I will of course post here as soon as the results are in.

Hi Tony, I am actually doing these tests today, and again tomorrow with some friends. I will be comparing:
300-100 (the classic L-pad)
125-139-125 (75ohm Pi-pad, 12dB)
100-300-100 ("ad-hoc" Pi-pad by Erik)
and 72-114-157 (50ohm-in, 75ohm-out Pi-pad, 12dB)

I will of course post here as soon as the results are in.

Thanks! :)

About those motor caps - I bought the best ceramics I thought I could find at Newark. Was about to start that mod but I guess I'll wait.

I strongly recommend AGAINST this modification. I tested it, and the result was appaling: both frequency extremes were dulled, resulting in a sound that lacked both sparkle and authority. In fact, bass loss was so heavy that in some songs there were notes I would not hear if I didn't know they were there... I used generic film caps (Wima, I think): 0.1uF for the spin motor and smaller 0.022uF (22nF) for the sled motor.

I then removed the two caps I thought were the most dubious - the ones between the - and + terminals of the motors. The sound seems to have regained the bass and sparkle, although I need to do more listening before I can judge this properly against unmodded motors.

Try with polystyrene lower values of 1nF - 2.2nF.

Regards,
Tibi

I was wondering if the Tbi board is interchangeable with the original board...so you can keep eg. your original display....and is it the same size as the original one...

I read somewhere you can still supply the 8v and 5v to the Tibi board am I correct :confused:

So far I cannot recall that someone tried to upgrade...eg clocks and caps..

Yes, you can replace original board with my board while keeping original display. However, connection between Shiga board and old JVC display board is not one to one and you´ll need to find how to connect flat cable by looking in schematic.

New display is bigger than JVC one. I have posted some pictures in this thread, hard to find them now.

There are several points where you can add separate 5V supply´s, these have been documented in Shiga googledoc. Have a look on my website for more info.

Regards,
Tibi

Tibi, could you make this available as a PDF or PSD file? I have no reliable way to convert Corel Draw files. I'd like to start working on the display cutout tomorrow. That and the one for the top plate are the only two I have left (two hardest ones, of course!).

Yes Tibi, would you convert to pdf, while i waiting for the board, I would like to prepare the casing :)
Regards,