Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2008, 11:08 PM   #271
DaveM is offline DaveM  United States
diyAudio Member

It drives me nuts to find a great thread like this and not be able to get the parts. Arrgghh! Any ideas on where a box might be found? I have been considering doing a CD Pro, but the cost has scared me off. This would fit my budget and intent. But alas, no sacrificial lamb.
Old 11th April 2008, 11:08 PM   #272
quan is offline quan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default shigaclone

Thanks Okapi for clearing that up- i am using a Hakko 936 with standard tip -look like will need the fine tip to do the job.
I saw one picture in the Polish forum where the sink was hacked into halves and bended backward! Quan.
Old 11th April 2008, 11:09 PM   #273
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I didn't mention anything about the sound, however I hear it has potential - it's quite lively, the highs are a bit hashy. There does seem to be some sense of stage and the presence is quite pleasing.

This unit is box stock and the resistors I used for the spdif level reduction are quite dreadful.. The original values I chose are not the right ones for the amplitude I measured which was 5Vpp...
Old 11th April 2008, 11:09 PM   #274
okapi is offline okapi  United States
diyAudio Member

Kevinkr,

if you get the chance it would be great to see some pics.

Tim
Old 11th April 2008, 11:30 PM   #275
Peter Daniel is offline Peter Daniel  Canada
diyAudio Member

Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Re: shigaclone

Quote:
Originally posted by quan
I saw one picture in the Polish forum where the sink was hacked into halves and bended backward! Quan.
Yeah, I also read a post where somebody burnt that chip
Old 11th April 2008, 11:34 PM   #276
luvdunhill is offline luvdunhill  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveM
It drives me nuts to find a great thread like this and not be able to get the parts. Arrgghh! Any ideas on where a box might be found? I have been considering doing a CD Pro, but the cost has scared me off. This would fit my budget and intent. But alas, no sacrificial lamb.

I may have a source in Canada. visions.ca. They won't ship direct to the US though. I have one coming and I'll verify it's really the correct model and let people know. They say they have loads in stock and can get more from JVC... I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 11th April 2008, 11:46 PM   #277
DaveM is offline DaveM  United States
diyAudio Member

Please put me on the list for one if it pans out. I searched today and found only that source. But I didn't pursue it since you had said they would ship to the US. Let us know how it goes.
Old 11th April 2008, 11:48 PM   #278
defect9 is offline defect9  Ireland
diyAudio Member

group buy for them maybe luvdunhill?
Old 12th April 2008, 12:29 AM   #279
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Update, I just thought I would mention that the RCEZ32 has very complex uP managed power control, a clock and a bunch of other features the RCEZ31 does not. It has a much more informative display, and listening to it I believe once I have it all figured out it will be excellent.

I would choose this unit as a last resort, or if I was up to a real challenge - I will certainly have a shigaclone like no other when I am done - but I will probably be building a board to replace the functionality of the existing audio board which has a lot of power supply stuff that is necessary for this version, but needs to be upgraded.

I'm listening to it right now, and I will say it shows promise, but sounds no where close to as good as my media server. I will need to investigate mods to the mechanism and its board.
Old 12th April 2008, 01:28 AM   #280
hayenc is offline hayenc  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to hayenc
I look forward to how things turn out with the RCEZ32. I think I have a refurbished unit coming from J&R, but will see what or if anything shows up.

Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone storyHide this!Advertise here!