Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Thanks for that Kevin, though I still confess to being not much the wiser. I'll have to do some reading up on this subject evidently.

Still it's sounding blooming marvellous already. It can boogie like a Naim (but sounds more natural), and has probably the most panoramic left to right soundstaging I've ever heard from digital - it's practically holographic! It's FAST as well. High hats really sound like they're being hit rather than a sort of tinkly tame sound of lesser gear - they really hammer out of the speakers. Bass goes down DEEEEEEP as well. Again quite Naim like. Zero overhang either on drums etc... I love it!

I could go on and on and bore everyone to death, but quite simply I've never heard digital sound this realistic. It sounds like I've upgraded my whole system. And this is with the stock unit. God knows what it will sound like with the mods - can't wait!

If anyone is still in any doubt PLEASE search out one of this units - you will not be disappointed!

Thanks Peter for bringing it to the DIY Audio website - this is the best £30 I have ever spent on my system :)

Cheers,

- John

johnm said:

Still it's sounding blooming marvellous already. It can boogie like a Naim (but sounds more natural), and has probably the most panoramic left to right soundstaging I've ever heard from digital - it's practically holographic! It's FAST as well. High hats really sound like they're being hit rather than a sort of tinkly tame sound of lesser gear - they really hammer out of the speakers. Bass goes down DEEEEEEP as well. Again quite Naim like. Zero overhang either on drums etc... I love it!

Cheers,

- John

My findings are about the same .Thanks :) Just added the clean PS ( 12 volt yet to the battery connections ) and I am going to connect the output divider .
:)

johnm said:
If anyone is still in any doubt PLEASE search out one of this units - you will not be disappointed!

Thanks Peter for bringing it to the DIY Audio website - this is the best £30 I have ever spent on my system :)

Well, as I already mentioned in my first post here: if Gainclone changed our perception of audio as such, this thing is even bigger ;)

Of course, all credits go to 47Labs, they were always the first with those ideas.

All hail 47 Labs!!! ;)

Seldom heard recorded music sound so..... powerful before. It's got such presence... it's like the real thing (on good recordings) Running out of superlatives here lol!

Almost loath to do any mods incase I loose this beautiful sound!

stefanobilliani: look forward to hearing how your JVC responds to the new PSU :)

Can anybody check the current consumption?
I only get the 7808 in 1A, Peter´s 7808ct is the 1,5A model.

THX, Carsten

PS: in whole Europe/EU you can get the EZ31 here: http://www.schlecker.com/

PPS: my boombox just arrived:

Attachments

• jvc.jpg
    jvc.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 3,226
johnm said:
Almost loath to do any mods incase I loose this beautiful sound!

That's the thing, do them slowly, one by one and compare results.

Adding new PS should be a good move but any changes on main board may affect things in a wrong direction. I wanted to add more refinement and smoothnes and certainly achieved that goal in my system, but I probably also lost some speed, freshness and 'panorama' so adjust everything to your particular preferences.

BTW, from what I've seen in Shigaraki and Flatfish, the boards did not seem to be modified at all, except for adding voltage devider at the output, new crystal in Shigaraki (but not in Flatfish) and maybe different regulators.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Here's one potential issue with the RCEZ32 - the digital out can be turned on and off by the external micro-controller.. Hopefully it is defaulted to on, otherwise I need a new controller.. :xeye:

From the Sanyo spec sheet for the LC78622NE which is software and pin compatible with the 629 which apparently is what replaced the 622NE.

Digital Output Circuit; Pin 31: DOUT
This is an output pin for use with a digital audio interface. Data is output in the EIAJ format. This signal has been processed by the interpolation and muting circuits. This pin has a built-in driver circuit and can directly drive a transformer.
MSB_____LSB______Command

0 1 0 0__ 0 0 1 0__DOUT ON
0 1 0 0__ 0 0 1 1__DOUT OFF
0 1 0 0__ 0 0 0 0__UBIT ON
0 1 0 0__ 0 0 0 1__UBIT OFF
1 0 0 0__ 1 0 0 0__CDROM-XA
1 0 0 0__ 1 0 1 1__ROMXA-RST

• The DOUT pin can be locked at the low level by issuing a DOUT OFF command.
• The UBIT information in the DOUT data can be locked at zero by issuing a UBIT OFF command.
• The DOUT data can be switched to data for which interpolation and muting processing have not been performed by issuing a CD-ROM XA command.
• When searching and when returning the pickup to its initial position, there are cases when the frequency output data will contain a parity error and locking is lost temporarily. To prevent this, we recommend directly executing a UBIT OFF ($41) command and then directly executing a UBIT ON ($40) command when searching and when returning the pickup to its initial position.

That it's closer does not mean it's better than EZ-31. Without trying I wouldn't know.

I already declared in a first post that I don't try to copy or emulate the sound of Shigaraki and create a clone. I merely use the same idea to come up with a successful CD transport design.

I was using Shigaraki for few weeks, and the modified EZ-31 sounds better to me.

The 'Shigaclone' expression in a thread topic was mostly to draw attention ;-)

Hi Peter!

Haven't yet tried this (though I will tomorrow) but have you experimented with putting a small capacitor (0.1uF ceramic?) across the motor terminals? It's said to reduce noise - might be a worthwhile tweak?

Also noticed you've taken the black housing from the top of the unit off. Was this easy to do/beneficial?

- John

johnm said:
I don't think you'll be disappointed Iain :)

BTW I have a pair of GB150D monoblocs which I'm shortly to use with this new CD transport. Have a feeling it will be a dynamite combination - let us know what the JVC sounds like through yours.

Cheers,

- John

Stripped it down now this is going to be fun :) Think you're right about the combo the GB150's should let this thing really sing. Or maybe show up poor workmanship on my behalf ;)

BTW have you done the latest PSSR mod on the GB150's, well worth implementing, details over at Greg's place.

Iain

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Ivan Petrov said:
So, should we all try to find the RC-EZ32 then, if it is closer to the Shigaraki?

No! Not yet, see my comments in post #247.

I will try to determine in the next few days whether or not the micro-controller leaves the DOUT (SPDIF OUT) enabled and whether or not UBIT is toggled as required. I'll just check the operation of the spdif output with a scope and then with my dac when I get further along - that is if it is properly enabled. There are a variety of reasons why it might not be - like EMC compliance, or they might be using a standard OEM/OTS micro-controller programmed to handle this and other similar applications which might/ might not be generic enough to provide this feature by default.

In any case you will find the RCEZ32 about as difficult to source as the RCEZ31 depending on where you are. Incidentally the '31 will not have this potential issue.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
johnm said:
Hi Peter!

Haven't yet tried this (though I will tomorrow) but have you experimented with putting a small capacitor (0.1uF ceramic?) across the motor terminals? It's said to reduce noise - might be a worthwhile tweak?

Also noticed you've taken the black housing from the top of the unit off. Was this easy to do/beneficial?

- John

Watch out the motor is under pwm control (not straight dc when running!) at almost 8kHz except when accelerating, decelerating or when stopped. The bridge amp is designed to drive inductive loads and might not like your cap.

johnm said:
but have you experimented with putting a small capacitor (0.1uF ceramic?) across the motor terminals? It's said to reduce noise - might be a worthwhile tweak?

Somebody suggested it, but I never tried installing those caps.

As to removing black housing, I noticed slight improvement and the effect probably belongs to the same category as what you get with skinning capacitors ;)

Peter: Ahhhh THAT kind of improvement haha ;)

Still the less parts there, the less to vibrate - I'll remove it :)

Kevin: I'll leave well alone then in regards to that 0.1uF cap. For that matter I guess if it was needed they would have implemented it.

Iain: No haven't implemented it yet - it's on my Hi-Fi list of things to do ;) First off I have to get a chassis for the SKA, and money is running thin :xeye:

- John

P.S. 11:37pm here and still listening, albiet with headphones now... it's going to be a VERY late session :) I'm loving the low level detail this contraption digs out. It's really smooth as well - particularly noticeable on violins - but not lacking ANY detail or attack. I think I will just implement the PSU and leave the main board as-is, except for replacing the crystal, and the 100nF cap for a 0.1uF Arcotronics polypropylene.

P.P.S You know once in a while you get one of those days when ur system sounds JUST right, and you know all the effort has been worth it - today is one of those (rare!) days :)