Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

I finished the display...

For those among you who are NOT superstitious
...one of the two expensive switches was internally defect while I was looking elsewhere....yesterday the extended infra red eye
worked perfectly...today nothing...and while everything was assembled I saw a tiny white dustparticle underneath the very first transparant foil-layer of the display...so the whole show dismantled again...grrrrrrrrr

Anyway it is completed...and bravely showing no. 13 :dead:

Attachments

• displayed.jpg
    displayed.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,640
Hi all,

I'm about to go make a cable for the SPDIF output from the shigaclone to the DAC. Both will have BNC conectors. I have good quality 75R coax with copper foil and sheath, single conductor core.

So what length should I make this cable. I've seen arguments for the shortest possible path (in my case c. 6") and also for much much longer - in fact 16' was recommended.:confused:

So what do you guys think? I'm no expert at any of this, so can't produce any arguments for or against, but I know many here will know what to do!:D

Help!!

Fran

Shiga into Peters DAC sounds great BTW so far!

Contrary to what has been claimed for analog interconnects, with digital it seems that longer lengths are actually better, some explanation can be found here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1474680#post1474680

Based on my personal listenings experiments, I didn't like much 12ft or longer cables. However, there is a definite improvement when comparing 3ft to 6ft (with Belkin Synapse): with longer cable there is more dimensionality and separation, at least that was my impression.

You may consider attaching one end of the cable directly to transport's output, therecommended resistor divider is 300R (series) and 100R (shunt, directly across the output)

Attachments

• switch1.jpg
    switch1.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,480
Thanks Peter,

Its very appealing to make it short as possible - it just removes the clutter and bag of snakes that is the back of my audio rack. What I think I'll do is make it 7' long - hey 7 is a lucky number!!

I could go direct to the transport, but its really handy being able to disconnect it with ease. I know, I know..... but I will use BNC connectors both ends and hopefully reduce losses as much as possible. I'm using some riken 300R/91R for the output from the shigaclone.

I don't have a good understanding of all this impdeance stuff - I'm gonna start a new thread for this and measuring SPDIF.... I've searched and googled but short of spending hours sifting, an answer from the gurus here is best route.

Fran

pics to come tomorrow.....

I have a daft question...

I have dismantled my Shigaclone again and have decided to attached a BNC socket to the rear of the drive.

Peter provided the following picture and I just wanted to check something with you.

As you can see there is a 300ohm resistor attached to the dig-out and a 100ohm connected to the TOC switch ground. Do I attach the core of the coax to these resistors? It seems strange that ground and signal are connected together.

r2.jpg

Thanks

Richard