Help to fix Mission PCM II

Mission pcm 2 no sound

Hi,
Just plugged back my pcm 2 after years and no sound comes out of it... seems also that it is a little stubborn when playing... giving error sometimes but sometimes track plays.
Any idea if this can be repaired ? Is it worth it? Anyone interested of buying for parts?

I had a case of DC-offset at the output OP which was cured by resoldering bad joints at the voltage regulators. Still the upper board was sensitive to knocking, toggling sound on and off. I resoldered the pins of the small board that is stacked over the DAC chip at the left corner (seen from the front) and the unit played well again. I would not discard a PCM II.

Hi, I'm also the proud owner of a PCM II, from new, but it shows since last month the same problems as mentioned earlier; uncontrolled closing of the disc tray, error on disc when a disc is inserted, etc. I would like to get it back in operation as I like the sound. I wonder if anyone was able to solve these problems and how.

a friend tell me, he absolutely love this CD player but he have a slight issue - the display goes randomly blank.
Is it a LCD-Display with background illumination or a VFD version?

According service manual of CD660/670 the type is FV112 and the Philips order code "4822 130 90403"

But the question is, whether Mission had a custom made version in use.
Thanks for an advice.

Hi, I'm also the proud owner of a PCM II, from new, but it shows since last month the same problems as mentioned earlier; uncontrolled closing of the disc tray, error on disc when a disc is inserted, etc. I would like to get it back in operation as I like the sound. I wonder if anyone was able to solve these problems and how.

Small update.
By "accident" I found some old guys doing repairs on older hifi equipment, besides engineering and repairing tube amplifiers . They where able to repair my PCM-2. It appeared that the power supply was not working properly, creating the un-controlled open and closing of the tray and the error on reading the CD. They mentioned that they also replaced the MAB8461P/W127 controller chip, but I haven't taken the player apart (yet) to check if it was replaced.

I have probably fix the error without service manual. After switch-on the cd player is dead, but screen (VFD display) looks like a blinking christmas three illumination.
The pos. rail of 5VDC provide only 3V5.

Because the input voltage of the associated voltage regulator was above 9V, I suspected the 5V regulator itself as the part causing the error but no changing the situation after replace by a new part.
After temporarily cutting of numerous conductor tracks I note after disconnect both the operating processor board and the Philips processor IC MAB8461P-W127 itself - go to
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/wtb-mab8461p-w127-mission-pcmii-controller.121935/ that supply voltage on the mentioned regulator rises up to 5V.

I note a resistance of 120R between the supply pins of this processor (that means idle current of approximately 40mA) and I guess, this IC must be replace.

Was this mask programmable processor IC only made for this model from Mission or are there also some Philips/Marantz cd player models, where this IC is in use ?

Thanks for an advice.

Attachments

• p410.jpg
    p410.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 21645340194582_30.jpg
    21645340194582_30.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 88
  • mission_pcm7000_9.png
    mission_pcm7000_9.png
    420.4 KB · Views: 100
Last edited: