diy audio transformer winding

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To further simplify and purify my DAC setup, I wound my first TVC.
It will convert from balanced to SE and provide 25 taps on secondary for volume control and give very low output impedance directly from the parallel DAC chips and the low impedance passive filter.
First impression is very good.

Primary has 2 x 500 windings and I did what I have seen on Siemens transformers.

Instead of 500 windings they used stranded wire composed of 10 single enameled wires and made 50 windings only. The ends are connected outside such that all windings are in series, as if it was a single wire with 500 turns.

Any advantage from that trick (?) ?

Just finished the first one.

Measured frequency response flat 0,1 dB from 10 Hz to 20 kHz with 10 k load.

25 taps, 2 dB steps plus one each 3, 4, 5 dB steps on the lower end.

6 dB gain, 1000 primary to 1995 secondary, wound on old Siemens core, 0,1mm sheets with MU shield.

tvc.jpg

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Bernhard,
Pretty impressive, sounds like rather a lot of work actually. I have some old telefunken transformers and maybe at some point I will follow in your foot-steps.

Can you post more detail about how you wound yours - maybe post a few pix of the transformers themselves if not inconvenient and you're not too shy...:D

Results sound very encouraging. These days all of my sources - even the tube ones will drive a 10K load without problems.. hmmm....;)

analog_sa said:

I suspect that the primary inductance is quite low. Maybe tubes won't be so happy driving it.

Bernhard

Would you mind describing the winding geometry? Have you got any data on the cores?

My L-meter told me 27H primary inductance with secondary open.
It has 1000 windings.

I have no data for the core but the metal sheets are very thin and fine polished.

No special geometry, see first posting.
I will not use the center tap so no requirement for true balanced geometry.
Maybe next time...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.