New to DSP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I've been looking into building a digital signal processor for about 6 months now, however, I do not have much knowledge on digital devices. My aim is to build a 7.1 audio processor with basic high pass/low pass and reverb functions to begin with but with lots of room for expansion.

The following: TAS3108, 8 Channel Audio DSP from TI.

http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/tas3108.html

I've looked into, as well as the evaluation board which is priced at $400, however I do not wish to make a such large purchase without enough background knowledge first.

I've also looked at the following threads, and a DIY option also seems interesting.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=81558&perpage=25&pagenumber=1
http://www.thehawkstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227

I'd like to learn how I would go about understand these and programming these before I go any further.

Does anyone know where I could start learning about these, and if anyone knows of any other packages that I could possibly use? :confused:

Hi,

I was interested in doing some DSP also. I had been looking into the Analog Devices SigmaDSP line. It uses a graphical compiler, so you don't actually have to write any code. I haven't figured out yet if it will be exactly what I was looking for, but its seems like a good way to get into DSP without knowing a ton about it. If you email them, they will send you a trial copy of the Sigma Studios compiler to try out. The AD1940 and AD1941 look especially interesting as they support up to 16 channels and 192kHz at 24 bit.

http://www.analog.com/en/subCat/0,2879,765%5F804%5F0%5F%5F0%5F,00.html

Hopefully this is useful. Good luck.

Thanks for the link, I looked into it but I've desided to stick with the TAS3108.

I've found the following to intigrate into my design:

PCM1730E - DAC
TAS3108 - DSP
PCM1804 - ADC
dsPIC30F6014 - Processor

I've studied the datasheets and been able to join the parts together, however there are a few bits I'm unsure about:

Can I provide an analog input straight into the ADC, the datasheet shows an OP Amp from the input to the ADC will this be required if a phono input is used?

How will i provide a clock to all devices? Will a single oscillator circuit be able to support all devices?

How would I connect the Bit Clock, System Clock functions on the ADC/DAC?

The processor I still have yet to put together, I will do this soon.

As far as I know I've placed the main building blocks correctly, but I'm not sure if I've missed out any vital parts. I've attached images of my design into a zip file, sorry for the hand drawn diagrams.

Attachments

• dsp, adc, dac.zip
    71 KB · Views: 61
I am interested in this DSP, please send me more info PM

Thanks for the link, I looked into it but I've desided to stick with the TAS3108.

PCM1730E - DAC
TAS3108 - DSP
PCM1804 - ADC
dsPIC30F6014 - Processor

I've studied the datasheets and been able to join the parts together, however there are a few bits I'm unsure about:

Can I provide an analog input straight into the ADC, the datasheet shows an OP Amp from the input to the ADC will this be required if a phono input is used?

How will i provide a clock to all devices? Will a single oscillator circuit be able to support all devices?

As far as I know I've placed the main building blocks correctly, but I'm not sure if I've missed out any vital parts. I've attached images of my design into a zip file, sorry for the hand drawn diagrams.

use pll or dll device to generate clocks.

PCM1730E - DAC
TAS3108 - DSP
PCM1804 - ADC
dsPIC30F6014 - Processor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.