quick question on behringer DEQ 2496

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
yesterday i ran out of headroom and clipped it (digitally) so i need to lower the output level somehow.

i already have the output level on the graphic EQ section at the lowest setting (-15db) but the combination of GEQ and PEQ filters still clips it around 30hz.

is there a setting somewhere that can lower the output (or input, same thing) level digitally ?

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Gibbi said:
Your source may be recorded clipping, which in this case there is nothing that you can do. I have a few CD's which clip no matter what. Go to bypass screen and bypass all, then see if you are still clipping. If so, it's your source.

no no, its not the source

i am using the equalizer to correct both speaker and room response and applying upwards of 20 decibels of correction (on the parametric section)

i can only lower the level by 15db on the graphic EQ so there is still a net gain and when i set meter to output i can just clearly see it going all the way to the end of the scale when i raise the volume on my source

of course i can lower the volume on my source but then i would not be using the full 24 bits and i have other equipment fed from the same source so it would also lose the bits

im just wondering if there is any kind of global gain adjustment on the DEQ ?

vasyachkin said:
I can lower the volume on my source but then i would not be using the full 24 bits and i have other equipment fed from the same source so it would also lose the bits
if you set the source voltage to just avoid digital clipping inside the DEQ then you are using the full bit ability.

But +20db of EQ is enormous. That's 100 times the power going to the speakers.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
AndrewT said:
if you set the source voltage to just avoid digital clipping inside the DEQ then you are using the full bit ability.

But +20db of EQ is enormous. That's 100 times the power going to the speakers.

i am running DEQ on digital input and digital output so i am not dealing with any voltages if i understand what you're saying. on the other hand even if i was running it in analog i would still be losing the same information because the A/D converter would still be 24 bit.

as far as 100 times power going to the speakers - not quite. its really just 10 times the voltage and 100 times the power would only be the case if impedance was constant but im applying much of the boost around where the impedance peaks ... plus my subwoofer is rated for 8000 watts. the bottleneck actually is the DEQ.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.