Tda1543a

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi! apparently, the tda1543a accepts japanese input format, as opposed to i2s of 1543. the digital decoder saa7345 of the marantz cd63 outputs japanese format (and not i2s), so wondering how shoudl i wire this together?

i can't seem to find any info on tda1543a. any datasheet or apps note will be much appreciated. thanks!

DonJuan

Question?

DonJuan said:
Hi Elso,

thanks for the reply. I've read that thread before but it still doesn't answer what I need to know though. :(

anyone has more info on tda1543a? thanks.

DonJuan
Hi DonJuan,
If your question is how to wire it together my answer is just connect as the non-A version. I believe the pinout of the A-version is the same.
You have the pindesignation of the digital decoder SAA7345?

:bulb:

Hi Elso,

mucho gracias for the fast replies.

I have schematics for the CD63 and have located the digital signals. I first thought these are I2S and wanted to hook up a TDA1543 directly but later was told that these are Japanese format, EIAJ. Thus, the 1543 is ruled out.

Couldn't find any info on what the EIAJ format looks like, nor how to convert EIAJ to I2S. But I recall somewhere, some time ago that TDA1543A accepts "Japanese input format". Not sure whether this is THE format as being output from SAA7345. Hence my queries.

Wiring should be the same as 1543 but would like to know more about 1543A and/or these different data formats before I start soldering.

Thanks!

DonJuan

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Mmm, I just looked in the datasheet and you're right. All I can say is that the TDA1543A works with a Sony CXD2551P digital filter.
A lot of cheaper cd players from some years ago had that combination. It is impossible to let it work with a CS8412 is all I know. Probably it will simply work when you connect it to the SAA chip. I guess it is a case of trial-and-error. Dangerous theory, I know ;)

But why do you want to use it in a CD63 ? That player has a good DAC chip in it !?!? If you persist on using it for non os purposes maybe you can make an external DAC with a CS8412 and a TDA1543. Saves you the hassle and the risk of damaging the CD63. The PCB material used is not exactly rugged in these machines.

Hi jean-paul,

To work with a CS8412, I think I will need some circuitry (shift register and what else) to convert EIAJ to I2S format, but no idea how EIAJ looks like in the first place!

But why do you want to use it in a CD63 ? That player has a good DAC chip in it !?!? If you persist on using it for non os purposes maybe you can make an external DAC with a CS8412 and a TDA1543. Saves you the hassle and the risk of damaging the CD63. The PCB material used is not exactly rugged in these machines.

Good point. Well, 8412 jitter is not that low right? Plus never like the idea of I2S convert to SPDIF, then convert back to I2S... I feel that it makes sense to bypass all this crap! Just I2S straight to TDA1543. Unfortunately, seems like I can't do so in my CD63. Hence, wanting to try TDA1543A.

Another reason for wanting to try out is that the 3 lines carrying WCLK, SDATA and SCLK from the SAA7345 terminate at a 220ohm resistor before going into the DAC. Thus, accessing these 3 lines is piece of cake. No need to cut any traces. Just lift one end of the resistors and take off!

Probably it will simply work when you connect it to the SAA chip. I guess it is a case of trial-and-error. Dangerous theory, I know

That's right. Kind of risky, that's why I'm finding out whatever info I could... I guess if I can't find anything, might as well try...

Wish me luck!

DonJuan

DonJuan said:
Good point. Well, 8412 jitter is not that low right? Plus never like the idea of I2S convert to SPDIF, then convert back to I2S... I feel that it makes sense to bypass all this crap! Just I2S straight to TDA1543. Unfortunately, seems like I can't do so in my CD63. Hence, wanting to try TDA1543A.

Why not? A 17 bit shift register on the data line is about you need.

TDA1543N ???

Pardon me for butting in with a few questions of my own, but what's the difference between 1543N and 1543? Can it be used with the CS841X for the DAC-project mentioned in another thread? Only asking because a German online retailer sells the 1543N for 0.60 Euro/pcs, which seems cheap to me... Also, what is the difference between 8412 & 8414 (in this application) ?

TIA!

/U. :scratch:

It works!

Hi!

jean-paul said:

I wish you luck, DonJuan ! BTW you can reclock the signal of the CS8412

Well, guess what? I tried tapping the I2s signal from my CD63 and found that with the TDA1543A, I get a buzzing sound. Definitely not right. I was dissappointed as I was told that the signal format from the SAA7345 is Japanese input and TDA1543A is supposed to work with Japanese input. But it doesn't work! :dead:

Anyway, since I have nothing to lose, I plugged in a TDA1543 and... lo and behold! I could hear music! :nod:

So the SAA7345 output is I2S after all!

Damn cheap non-oversampling DAC!

This opens up lots of opportunities. I believe you can fit in a TDA1541 there and you'll be smoking!

Current plan I have is to optimize this circuit (it needs a gain stage), then drill 2 holes on the chassis to accomodate output RCA jacks. This way, I have 2 DACs in one chassis. :idea:

DonJuan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.