sonic differences between different operating systems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, next stupid question...

has anyone made experiences (with PC as sound source) between different operating systems like Windows XP32, Windows XP64, Windows Vista32 or 64 MacOS, and Linux Systems. Some friends of me told me, that Vista sounds better than Winows XP ans some tell me that MacOs sounds better than Windows and so on.

Who has experiences and can tell something about this?

Greets,
Ralf

Hi ralf,

Funny thing about this subject is much of the music we listen to today is recorded onto both PCs with XP AND Macs. There is a software package called "ProTools" that is used in a high percentage of recording studios (I believe they are #1 in this market). However, they use hardware from Digidesign and maybe M-Audio.

So the answer to your question, IMO anyway, is it doesn't matter. What does matter is the application and hardware you use. And that would be based on your need and budget, you can decide what you want to use. If it isn't that important, and I am thinking it is or you wouldn't be asking this question, they all meet minimum requirements. Otherwise, if you do need something with quality, do a search on software and hardware combos that meets your needs.

So don't go running out to replace your OS. All manufacturers have made software that get excellent results with XP and MAC OS 10. Less on Vista and even less on Linux. Remember they want to make money so linux and the 64 bit software won't get them there yet! Don't ask any OS to do the job if it is important. The right application using the OS (the app knows how to get the most out of the OS) is the way to do it. Or as they say, "This is a job for the professionals".

I hope this helps.

Regards//Keith

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.