error correction et al'

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a few lathed cd's that sound different to none lathed versions of the same disc, all new purchased discs..

now i don't believe for one minute that as the manufacturer claims it's to do with laser scatter or other eroneous ********.

but i can't deny the differnece in sound.

so. based on the fact that all it does is trim the disc to give you a better balanced cd that spins with less potential vibration. how does this chnage interact with the mechanism in the cd mech that serve to allow better disc tracking and error correction when apit can't be read?

do the electrical component of the laser assembly exist in perfect electrical isolation from the rest of the system, or not? if not how can any feedback manifest itself in reduced sound quality?

does reed solomon actually produce the 'lost bit' or does it just provide an approximation, and if so how close is this approximation. also does invoking reed solomon has any effect on data stream jitter?

please help, i'dloveto have an understanding of why a lathed cd sounds more spacious and ambient in my set up. i can pick the lathed version of several discs out over the none lathed version with 100% accuracy so i'm not just fooling myself into hearing a difference.

sq225917 said:

does reed solomon actually produce the 'lost bit'

Yes, up to a certain limit of read errors per block or whatever.
Beyond this data are interpolated. Such interpolation only happens
once in a while with an average disk.

sq225917 said:

also does invoking reed solomon has any effect on data stream jitter?

It is not invoked as such. The error corrector is a continuously-enabled block that takes in encoded and possibly damaged data and spits out decoded correct data.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.