Marantz CD-73

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Marantz CD-73 and it stopped working a while ago.
Actually it played fine before I put it in storage.
Now after 5 years or so it doesn't want to work anymore.
The player has now two problems

1.The loading mechanism: When the tray comes out (or actually the whole thing) the motor won't stop(which opens/closes the tray) The same thing happens when you close it. I couldn't find a switch anywere that controls the motor,i suspect it's something electronic.

2.It doesn't read any disc.

Who would be so kind to give me hints/tips to repair this 'vintage' cd-player.I just love the design and sound of it.

I know this may be a bit late, but for anyone with a similar problem, this may help.
The loader is dependent on a double leaf switch, which is on the rear of the left hand pcb (internally). This is actuated by a spring mounted plastic lever. The leaf switch can snap, and this can cause the motor to continue to wind.
The laser lens should be cleaned carefully (no solvents), and the motor, taken apart, cleaned and lubricated (the grease has a tendency to gum up) . You should make a note of the depth of the bottom (grub) screw before doing this.
Neither of these is adisable unless you know what you are doing though.
After this is done, and if things still don't work, the next place to look is in the power supply, where all the caps should be replaced, especially the higher voltage and lower value ones.
Best to get a service manual before doing any of this, but It can be done without ,if you know what you're doing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.