Linux XO/DRC Fanless PC w. Lynxtwo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I am building a dedicated PC for XO and DRC. The soundcard i bought is Lynxtwo-B (6xbalanced output).
I read some of the impressive stuff on the "PC XO" and "Linux" threads, but as i am a newbee when it comes to linux i need some of you to answer a few questions:

The manufacturer of Lynx sound cards hasn't got any drivers supporting linux. I found out that "4Tech" open sound systems 4.0 supports the Lynxtwo-B but will i be able to configure the card using this for XO/DRC music PC ?

Also which distribution should i aim for. I would like to have a reliable fast/light system as possible. The purpose is music only ?

This is for the moment my major concerns ;)

Thanks in advance.

Jon/Denmark

Read this on the Lynx site just now...

Lynx Studio Technology provides device drivers for Windows 95/98/ME, Windows NT/2000/XP, as well as Macintosh OS9/OSX. 4Front Technologies has developed Linux/Unix device drivers for the LynxONE, and is in the process of developing Linux/Unix device drivers for the Lynx L22 and LynxTWO. 4Front sets their own schedule, so please contact them for availability dates for their drivers.

Hi.

Distributions: I recommend to start with Ubuntu-Studio.

ALSA is not supporting Lynx cards. You need to install OSS4.0 of 4front manually.

4front (http://www.opensound.com/) AFAIK supplies precompiled packages for certain distributions.

You'll find debian .deb packages at 4front.

Mplayer and XMMS and some other applications are supporting OSS.

brutefir is also supporting OSS, if you want to use brutefir for DRC.

Don't expect installing OSS a plug and play exercise . ;)

I am thinking about trying it by myself to see if it's better than ALSA.

Cheers

Thank you all for your help.

I know that the project can be realized in 100 different ways, but i would of course start spending my precious sparetime on what most other people find optimal.

Therefore i will try Linux (I was actually about to give up). I will find some material on ubuntu-studio as surgested by Soundcheck :)

Before i can start installing linux ect. i have to finish the computer. It is a little difficult to find heatpipes in denmark in the rigth size.

Thanks again:D

Sorry about the bad advice regarding ALSA and Lynx, ALSA doesn’t support LYNX.

Fortunately, OOS has been has changed status to open source.

Linux is time consuming, but the MS alternative is too expensive for most people. Good luck with the project.

opp said:
ALSA doesn’t support LYNX.

Just to make one thing clear.

Lynx is neither supporting ALSA nor OSS, resp. Linux in general.
Professional soundcards usually come with their own drivers, that's the same
under Windows and Mac Os.

Instead of writing their own Linux drivers, they lean back and wait for others to do so.
IMO, one reason not opting for Lynx. If you have a look at the Lynx forum you'll see that people are bugging them since years regarding Linux support.
(Of course I do not know if Lynx assigned 4front to write the driver for them ;) )
A properly writen driver is IMO as important as the soundcard itself.
And who can do it better then the manufacturer himself.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.