Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Best resistors For I/V Conversion?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th August 2007, 03:21 AM   #11
ashok is offline ashok
diyAudio Member

What are the negative characteristics of a MOX low value resistor , say a range of 0.22 ohms to 47 ohms ?
Old 4th August 2007, 04:24 AM   #12
Conrad Hoffman is offline Conrad Hoffman  United States
diyAudio Member

MOX wouldn't be my first choice for anything that needed an ideal resistor, based on voltage coefficient. I used some in the feedback path of a high voltage amplifier, and the non-linearity was easy to see on the scope. OTOH, I've never used or measured values that low, so maybe it's not an issue. IMO, they're cheap enough that you shouldn't trust anybody, but buy some and test 'em. For those values, a short piece or a counter wound coil of manganin wire would be nearly ideal.
Old 6th August 2007, 12:21 PM   #13
56oval is offline 56oval  Australia
diyAudio Member

I replaced the 50R rhopoints with 34ohm TX2352 with great results .
Old 10th March 2016, 01:12 PM   #14
savinalexandru is offline savinalexandru  Romania
diyAudio Member

Hi,
The bulk foil Vishay resistors for I/V stage that some of you are using are the same with ''Z201 Series''?
Have anyone of you noticed sound difference, lets say, between 0.05% and 0.1%?

Kind rgs,
Alex.
Old 11th March 2016, 08:46 PM   #15
Extreme_Boky is offline Extreme_Boky
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat95 View Post
Hello to all!

Does anyone have comments as to preferred resistor
types for digital I/V conversion, and the sound character
of any mentioned types/brands?

Thanks!

fastcat
TX2575. Very natural, able to deliver the speed, with no coloration of any kind. It sounds outstanding and it gives least amount of ringing and overshoots/undershoots. They also come in 0.1% tolerance, so matching exercise is usually not required.
Old 13th March 2016, 08:47 PM   #16
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
Banned

I believe Econistor Rhopoint to be better... here ! And the same vs the famous naked ones !

No one talked about smd RF High frequency application résistors ???? But John from ECDESIGNS I mean...
Old 14th March 2016, 12:40 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I compared the Econistor Rhopoint you mentioned, with TX2575. The TX2575 was much better, at least in this (I/V) application. The problem with Econistor Rhopoint is related to the fact that they are wirewound - hence, there's inductance. You may think that the inductance is negligible, but it is in fact substantial to cause issues…. For example, if Econistor Rhopoint are used where inductance is absolutely undesirable (an example would be a feedback resistor in very fast, current - feedback OP's, which sound amazing as I/V if the gain is necessary - like with 1704's) the introduced inductance will take these OP's into oscillations and eventually would cause an OP damage, and destruction.

A big contributing factor to what sounds good as an I/V resistor is rest of the sound reproduction chain… The TX2575 may sound too revealing and the Econistor Rhopoint might be just right. I just provided my experience and findings for others to consider…
Old 14th March 2016, 01:09 AM   #18
chris719 is online now chris719  United States
diyAudio Member

All wirewound resistors are inductive, even "non-inductive" ones as other posters have mentioned. I would not use one as an I/V resistor on the output of a DAC which has significant HF content.

Use metal film / thin film or bulk foil.
Old 14th March 2016, 03:44 AM   #19
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky View Post
I compared the Econistor Rhopoint you mentioned, with TX2575. The TX2575 was much better, at least in this (I/V) application. The problem with Econistor Rhopoint is related to the fact that they are wirewound - hence, there's inductance. You may think that the inductance is negligible, but it is in fact substantial to cause issues…. For example, if Econistor Rhopoint are used where inductance is absolutely undesirable (an example would be a feedback resistor in very fast, current - feedback OP's, which sound amazing as I/V if the gain is necessary - like with 1704's) the introduced inductance will take these OP's into oscillations and eventually would cause an OP damage, and destruction.

A big contributing factor to what sounds good as an I/V resistor is rest of the sound reproduction chain… The TX2575 may sound too revealing and the Econistor Rhopoint might be just right. I just provided my experience and findings for others to consider…
Of course I agree, all is in the context : mine is just on a TDA1541A, a relative high value and bypassed with tinned foil styren cap ! So here despite the stray inductance of the wirewound it sound smoother and as transparent than a naked Ti Bulk Foil Var resistor ! At least as you say, with the whole Hi fi I have ! I remembered the father of the ESL63 didn't liked the TX with the TDA1543 for instance... so !
Old 14th March 2016, 08:37 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldam View Post
Of course I agree, all is in the context : mine is just on a TDA1541A, a relative high value and bypassed with tinned foil styren cap ! So here despite the stray inductance of the wirewound it sound smoother and as transparent than a naked Ti Bulk Foil Var resistor ! At least as you say, with the whole Hi fi I have ! I remembered the father of the ESL63 didn't liked the TX with the TDA1543 for instance... so !
Exactly right! On the side note, and in an attempt to make them look good, they are (the Rhopoint's) encapsulated in plastics that could also bring sound benefits...

Regards,
Nick

Best resistors For I/V Conversion?Hide this!Advertise here!