Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th November 2018, 11:37 AM   #6781
batteryman is offline batteryman  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koldby View Post
I think I pointed you in that direction in post 6631:
Not specifically and indeed nor did Ian himself and then we all got bogged down in discussions of whether the LSB was being missed. Which again, no one has proved by actual measurements of the dac output.

Anyway, I've just ordered a FifoII and clock board from Ian and he has very kindly agreed to replace the I2S board I damaged, for a few Dollars.

The FIFO board can accept other formats than I2S so I can use my preferred Denon rack mounting professional cd player as a transport. (I like the all steel construction, solid feel to the buttons and sturdy mechanism. (Sanyo)
Old 9th December 2018, 02:27 PM   #6782
diyAudio Member

Default DUAL TDA1541 WORKING WITH IAN'S BOARDS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batteryman View Post
Not specifically and indeed nor did Ian himself and then we all got bogged down in discussions of whether the LSB was being missed. Which again, no one has proved by actual measurements of the dac output.

Anyway, I've just ordered a FifoII and clock board from Ian and he has very kindly agreed to replace the I2S board I damaged, for a few Dollars.

The FIFO board can accept other formats than I2S so I can use my preferred Denon rack mounting professional cd player as a transport. (I like the all steel construction, solid feel to the buttons and sturdy mechanism. (Sanyo)
I eventually damaged my first I2S-PCM board by connecting to 15v instead of 5v. Ian very generously replaced it for the cost of the cost of repair.
I also then bought a Fifo 2 and dual clock board.

Today it is all connected and it sounds superb. Better than the dual AD1862 I have been listening to in the meanwhile (via SPDIF and a SRC4192 EV).

I/V is four 50R resistors and the Sowter transformers. By using balanced operation, the static 2ma offset of the dacs is nullified so no DC flows through the transformers which si essential.

The wiring needs tidying and my MK2 dac pcb will have pads for U/fl connectors for the data but I am relieved I now have something great to listen with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dual balanced 1541 mk2.jpg (626.6 KB, 187 views)
Old 9th December 2018, 03:10 PM   #6783
diyAudio Member

Very clean differential traces from the left channel dac D+/D- taken directly from across the dac audio out pins. (loaded with the I/V resistors and transformer)

These I believe shows the benefits of balanced simultaneous operation and the clock stopping features of Ian's board.

Who needs OS with such clean signals!

Blue = signal and then no signal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lch dacout.jpg (95.9 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg lcdac no sig.jpg (58.3 KB, 173 views)
Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM   #6784
koldby is offline koldby  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I want to use LiFePO4 batteries to power my 1541a DAC but the voltage for a single cell is 3.3V so the +/- 5V would be +/- 6.6v and the -15 V would be - 16.5 V.
The max. in the data sheet is +/- 5.5 V and - 16V and the absolute max +/- 7 V and -17 V.
Will it be too dangerous to use the LiFePO4 voltage levels for the TDA1541A?
Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM   #6785
pistollero is offline pistollero  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I eventually damaged my first I2S-PCM board by connecting to 15v instead of 5v. Ian very generously replaced it for the cost of the cost of repair.
I also then bought a Fifo 2 and dual clock board.

Today it is all connected and it sounds superb. Better than the dual AD1862 I have been listening to in the meanwhile (via SPDIF and a SRC4192 EV).

I/V is four 50R resistors and the Sowter transformers. By using balanced operation, the static 2ma offset of the dacs is nullified so no DC flows through the transformers which si essential.

The wiring needs tidying and my MK2 dac pcb will have pads for U/fl connectors for the data but I am relieved I now have something great to listen with.
Hello batteryman what sowter model are you using?
Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM   #6786
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistollero View Post
Hello batteryman what sowter model are you using?
I'm using the 9545 but they have been superceded by 1465 although the specs seem the same.

DAC I/V CONVERSION OUTPUT TRANSFORMERS
Old Yesterday, 08:44 PM   #6787
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koldby View Post
I want to use LiFePO4 batteries to power my 1541a DAC but the voltage for a single cell is 3.3V so the +/- 5V would be +/- 6.6v and the -15 V would be - 16.5 V.
The max. in the data sheet is +/- 5.5 V and - 16V and the absolute max +/- 7 V and -17 V.
Will it be too dangerous to use the LiFePO4 voltage levels for the TDA1541A?
You may get away with it if you put heatsinks on the dacs, or maybe a series diode to lose 0.6v but this may negate the benefit of the batteries.

I'd measure the actual voltage with s simulated load as mine were about 3.4v.

Also, I've seen some dac schematics where the designer had fitted a 10R resistor in each supply lead close to the dac but before the decouplig caps. This would give you a 250 - 350mv margin.

I have some Lipo batteries (RC model 3.7v batteries) which I might try with my on board Dexa regulators, a pair gives about 7.6v and 5, will give 18.5v.

I like the idea of completely separate batteries for each supply.
Old Today, 01:03 PM   #6788
koldby is offline koldby  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You may get away with it if you put heatsinks on the dacs, or maybe a series diode to lose 0.6v but this may negate the benefit of the batteries.

I'd measure the actual voltage with s simulated load as mine were about 3.4v.

Also, I've seen some dac schematics where the designer had fitted a 10R resistor in each supply lead close to the dac but before the decouplig caps. This would give you a 250 - 350mv margin.

I have some Lipo batteries (RC model 3.7v batteries) which I might try with my on board Dexa regulators, a pair gives about 7.6v and 5, will give 18.5v.

I like the idea of completely separate batteries for each supply.
Ian just answered my question regarding a silicon diode in series with the batteries, and he said it was worth a try, and his only concern was noise from the diode and suggested a capacitor in parallel with it to eliminate that.

Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541AHide this!Advertise here!