Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A
Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2018, 04:44 PM   #6481
3lite is offline 3lite  Poland
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by koldby View Post
This sounds a little like you have not been reading this thread very thoroughly. ...
It's your stuff and you can do what you meant with it. I was here to suggest you the correct way to achieve what you want and that was it.

I have one suggestion though. Instead of taking one guy as oracle you might want to think a bit on your own, too. It's not really that hard if you skip that usual talk about "listening not measuring". The fact is that if DAC measures bad it usually sounds bad... Believe me, I've been there and I've listened to a lot of things. However, if you believe that it sounds good to you then lets leave it that way. It's not like you need to satisfy anyone else with the sound quality, but yourself.

Also, "measuring" DACs using oscilloscope is just... bad. You need to perform actual FFT analysis since your eye and the oscilloscope cannot show you the details you are looking for.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2018, 07:45 PM   #6482
koldby is offline koldby  Denmark
diyAudio Member
 
koldby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ruds Vedby
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lite View Post
It's your stuff and you can do what you meant with it. I was here to suggest you the correct way to achieve what you want and that was it.

I have one suggestion though. Instead of taking one guy as oracle you might want to think a bit on your own, too. It's not really that hard if you skip that usual talk about "listening not measuring". The fact is that if DAC measures bad it usually sounds bad... Believe me, I've been there and I've listened to a lot of things. However, if you believe that it sounds good to you then lets leave it that way. It's not like you need to satisfy anyone else with the sound quality, but yourself.

Also, "measuring" DACs using oscilloscope is just... bad. You need to perform actual FFT analysis since your eye and the oscilloscope cannot show you the details you are looking for.
Apparenty you think I am a new to this... Well I am not. Over and out.
__________________
What is Home Theatre without good sound?
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2018, 10:29 AM   #6483
sumotan is offline sumotan  Indonesia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Hi Guys
Can someone shed some light as why does this copper foil thingy works pls.
I recalled reading this way back. Had some time & thought I give it a try, damn it really does work, everything familiar pc of music that played came out more better defined especially low level details. Why so, is it because of rf or ???.
Im aware that some Japanese hi end cdp sticks copper foil all over caps & ic chips etc.

Thks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63BB9F46-B1C3-4006-9223-7A9C1F67F29C.jpg (951.7 KB, 429 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2018, 03:06 PM   #6484
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Thanks for the tip, I have some of that copper foil here, may have to try that...
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2018, 03:11 PM   #6485
sumotan is offline sumotan  Indonesia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Lol itís not a tip Phase, just dumb founded as to why it works & that you really can hear the difference. Btw youíve got solder a tiny wire & ground it to pin 14
of the TDA

Cheers
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2018, 07:34 PM   #6486
lcsaszar is offline lcsaszar  Hungary
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Budapest, Hungary
It was discussed also here:

Copper tape atop IC's?

and here:

Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A

And here:

Pictures of copper heatsink

Last edited by lcsaszar; 23rd September 2018 at 07:38 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2018, 05:34 PM   #6487
Zoran is offline Zoran  Serbia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Belgrade
Hi I listened more tda1541a in sim format. I can say that is huge diference in outcome vs i2s format... I like it much much more. The thing is so fast and clear, with excellent natural tone of voices and instruments. Blah Blah... And not at all, or significantly less digital harshness... I will try to compare with 4 x tda1540 same input format, but 14bits.
.
I will try same SIM format to feed the diskrete dac and report. cheers.
__________________
###
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2018, 03:14 PM   #6488
maxlorenz is offline maxlorenz  Chile
diyAudio Member
 
maxlorenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: osorno , Chile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoran View Post
Hi I listened more tda1541a in sim format. I can say that is huge diference in outcome vs i2s format... I like it much much more. The thing is so fast and clear, with excellent natural tone of voices and instruments. Blah Blah... And not at all, or significantly less digital harshness... I will try to compare with 4 x tda1540 same input format, but 14bits.
.
I will try same SIM format to feed the diskrete dac and report. cheers.
I know jealousy is a sin, but man, you are making us jealous with those comments.

We, TDA1541 virgins, must wait until our digital guru comes with a complete working DAC.

Meanwhile, I am perfecting my TDA1543 DACs, the "scrambler-interpolator" and the "dual-mono" DACs, that may be less detailed and noisy but that surely have dinamics and impact to spare...

I confirmed what guru anticipated, that sometimes the digital chain of the dual-mono DAC refuses to ride more than a certain number of DAC chips- In my case I have only a couple of successful 8 chip towered DACs. The rest seem comfortable with only 4 chips tower DACs, so I am building a two module DAC each with 4 chip towers, in parallel. If that goes OK, I think I will expand the idea, but, will I get more bit depth???

Cheers,
M.
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2018, 03:38 PM   #6489
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
wlowes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlorenz View Post
I know jealousy is a sin, but man, you are making us jealous with those comments.
Allow me to pile on! the jump resulting from sim format is similar to the additional jump then attained by using John's 100uF DEM cap recommendation..
I suspect you have little to worry about as you build some amazing DACs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2018, 09:42 AM   #6490
sthcoaster is offline sthcoaster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Vientiane, Lao PDR
Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A
For the 100uf 50hz DEM caps its +ve to GND and -ve to the pins right?
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541AHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:07 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.00%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio
Wiki