Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A
Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2017, 04:53 PM   #6011
maxlorenz is offline maxlorenz  Chile
diyAudio Member

This site has all you need to know:

https://www.circuitsathome.com/adum4...ssembly-guide/

Good luck.
M.
Old 7th December 2017, 04:56 PM   #6012
Bertel is offline Bertel  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlorenz View Post
This site has all you need to know:

https://www.circuitsathome.com/adum4...ssembly-guide/

Good luck.

M.

Wonderful, many thanks!
Old 7th December 2017, 05:31 PM   #6013
Henderson is offline Henderson
Banned

awesome...

thank you ML.
Old 7th December 2017, 06:45 PM   #6014
Vbenonisen is offline Vbenonisen  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
Hello, Hopkins & Vbenonisen

May you please tell us what was your last dac before the Mosaic for us to appreciate your testimonial, please ?

many thanks for this

I've used a DIY 1541a DAC directly before the Mosaic, but have also owned a Audio Note DAC 2.1x balanced and a Lector CDP-7 CD-player. Mosaic is better.
Old 7th December 2017, 09:29 PM   #6015
zygibajt is offline zygibajt  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlorenz View Post
Now that I am playing with R2R tapes,
Can you share which are you playing with and what are your findings?

Kind Regards
Old 8th December 2017, 09:31 AM   #6016
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zygibajt View Post
Can you share which are you playing with and what are your findings?

Kind Regards
Well, I am an absolute beginner in this matter, so consider that to valuate the following...

I bought an Otari MX5050b2 machine for USD $212 at eBay As you may know this one is recommended by the guys at The Tape Project. I repaired some minor issues to make it functional and now I am upgrading the amplifier circuits as parts arrive. I will also upgrade the transport, DIY style. The tricky part is equalization

I own only a few tapes, the best are 2 track, only 7.5ips, from the fifties and I am waiting for my first 15ips copy. As you know they are completely expensive by any standard.

The thing is that these old tapes have superior range dynamics and apparently recording engineers were not afraid to get musical peaks beyond standard level (+6?; +9?) by which orchestral tuttis , ffff, and mass attacks are scarry. These guys were crazy.
Take for example the tape Gypsy! by Carmen Dragon at the Hollywood Bowl. Very fine orchestra with first violins doing a great job. I don't know if it was transfered to CD but I bet the engineers would chop "excess" transients and peaks... I will make my own transfers when I get the recording aspect OK. I may post some in youtube in the far future.

Another thing: I first drove my Tannoy Autograph replicas actively bi-amped with success but swapped for passive XO as I never got rid of low level hum. Well my DIY passive XO is being revisited as tape makes the speakers shout on some notes at peaks...we learn everyday...

That being said, with the Mosaic you get a very elegant, refined, rich, reference level, faithful analog reproduction of what is in the file...it won't make miracles with inferior quality recordings with compressed dynamics...for example, as I said previously, AAD and ADD transfers sound in general much better and musically engaging that suspect origin DDD productions. Which reminds me: take a look at Ultimate HQ-CD at CD-japan.

I hope this helps.
M.
Old 8th December 2017, 10:36 AM   #6017
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbenonisen View Post
I've used a DIY 1541a DAC directly before the Mosaic, but have also owned a Audio Note DAC 2.1x balanced and a Lector CDP-7 CD-player. Mosaic is better.
Here you are...

Being this DIYaudio, I can't wait till the warranty expires to open it and begin to mods!
Old 13th December 2017, 02:13 PM   #6018
swak is offline swak
diyAudio Member

Checking ant the mosaic specs I't seems that the output impedance is 750 ohm. Is this correct?

From the website:

"DAC module:24 bit multibit Mosaic passive resistor matrix, 2V RMS, 750 Ohm, DC coupled"
Old 13th December 2017, 07:08 PM   #6019
Vbenonisen is offline Vbenonisen  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swak View Post
Checking ant the mosaic specs I't seems that the output impedance is 750 ohm. Is this correct?

From the website:

"DAC module:24 bit multibit Mosaic passive resistor matrix, 2V RMS, 750 Ohm, DC coupled"

Why shouldn't it be correct?
Old 13th December 2017, 09:05 PM   #6020
swak is offline swak
diyAudio Member

I am not questioning if what is written there might be incorrect.

The information is given for the "DAC module", I don't know if there is an output stage (buffer) after the module (I believe there is none, but I am not completely sure, and that is why I am asking). This information is written in a section of the website where the parts are described, therefore I understand "DAC module" as a part, not the whole DAC.

Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541AHide this!Advertise here!