Least expensive 6-channel volume control for DCX2496?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Six knobs that click

Six knobs that click aren't any harder to adjust than one knob. Click, click, click, click, click, click, vs. turn. The difference is about the same amount of time that it took to read that sentence. If you are going to give up remote control then the real consideration is walking over to the amps. After you are there, turning one knob or six is not that much different. Six knobs (or even three) that don't have matched steps would be very difficult to get repeatable settings, however. With the stepped attenuators it is easy to get any volume that you want and keep all of the channels perfectly matched. The real question is to remote or not to remote and comes down to how much emphasis is to be placed on sound quality vs. convenience. When the payoff is this great, I will chose sound quality every time.

Re: Six knobs that click

sendler said:
Six knobs that click aren't any harder to adjust than one knob. Click, click, click, click, click, click, vs. turn. The difference is about the same amount of time that it took to read that sentence. If you are going to give up remote control then the real consideration is walking over to the amps. After you are there, turning one knob or six is not that much different. Six knobs (or even three) that don't have matched steps would be very difficult to get repeatable settings, however. With the stepped attenuators it is easy to get any volume that you want and keep all of the channels perfectly matched. The real question is to remote or not to remote and comes down to how much emphasis is to be placed on sound quality vs. convenience. When the payoff is this great, I will chose sound quality every time.

Good point sendler, and like I said above, ganged pots might make it less than 6... I think it really comes down to how you listen to music.. If you are constantly adjusting the volume for each track then this may not be the best idea, but if you can set the volume once and leave it then passive attenuation is the best way to go...

--Chris

Scott,

Could you please post a pic(s) of your system with the passive attneuators in use? I am a little confused on the exact setup but I love the idea of 3 in a box.

I am extremely interested in buying 5 and getting 1 free. Thanks!

It seems like this may be the best route for us guys who are using the DCX2496 for volume control.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
tf1216 said:
janneman:

Can you please elaborate more on the K5600? What do you think of the unit and its performance so far? How is it different than a Roland M1000?
[snip]

The K5600 is very easy to put together, couple of hours, worked from power up. I find it more neutral than using the DCX digital-domain level control, although it is not the worlds best preamp, obviously. But its pretty good. It can be used with almost any RC5 compatible remote so that is definitely a big plus for me.

Disadvantage of the K5600 is that you cannot set levels separate for each channel, its all or nothing. That said, it uses 3 LM1973's and the hardware setup is such that with a change in the software you can address each of the three channel pairs separately, which is what you probably would need for the DCX. It's on my list, I've done these things before (built & programmed a remote control PIC-driven preamp before) but I don't know when I will get the time.

Then again, for 200 aussi $, how can you lose? Buy it, try it and sell it for 130 if you don't like it anymore.;)

Jan Didden

Hi Mazeroth,

I've got the prototype (i.e. serial 00001)

First production run will probably be available at the end of april.

Price has still to be determined, I'll know it in the next few days.

Shipping cost to the US and form of payment are being defined by Selectronic (I advised them to used Paypal which is really smooth).

Alternatively : I'll be back to you here with the details, or you may enquire from the address I indicated on my web page.

Cheers

Thierry

Well, of course one can wonder.

Let's say it's because the thing is not DCX-only oriented.

And because unbalanced setups are more common.

And because most home theater setups use unbalanced interconnects.

And also because balancing inputs and outputs adds more complexity if done properly - not speaking about transformers, only opamps, thus an increased cost / selling price.

And because in the end what's the point of using balanced inputs outputs in a domestic installation ?

It's always very difficult to please EVERYONE with ONE solution. Look at the K5600 for example...

Thmartin said:
And because in the end what's the point of using balanced inputs outputs in a domestic installation ?
There are very sound reasons for using balanced interconnects as far along the signal chain as possible. There are lots of very high performance domestic installations out there...

Since this thread's all about the DCX2496, and trying to optimize its performance, I think the best solution would be based on the SSM2018. Balanced in, SE out would match most installations. Parts cost is relatively expensive but it should still be cheaper (excepting design labor) than the LM1973 kit. I've started the schematic for a board based on this but there are a lot of other projects in the queue ahead of it. When (/ if) I buy my DCX, I'll bump up its priority.
The other possibility is to use a small number of gain options after the DCX, say low / medium / high. Cheap version of a stepped attenuator. You would use this as a coarse volume setting, then use the DCX volume as a fine setting. Normally when I listen to music I keep it mostly the same for long periods.

There is one very nice advantage to the Altronics K5600.

It is very easy to add another 6 channels by simply populating another input PCB and placing it next to the other one in the case.

In my case my Left, Center and Right speakers are Active 2 ways, I run 2 Subs, a Left Rear, Right Rear, Sourround Right, Sourround Left (All Passive crossovers). 12 Channels tracking required for this setup.

Aaron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.