Da-capo issue (John W?)

Is the price excessive for a Dac and battery supply pair? I am out of touch.
It looks like my Ordinal has original caps and no sign of leakage. Do they all
leak at some point in time or was it certain periods of manufacture/caps used?
I don't suppose you could forward the photos assuming you still have them einsteinagogo? I could pm my email address.
Can anyone confirm the Ordinal/Da Capo input card compatibility?

for me personally, the price was too high, also had concerns with the 12-month guarantee, which would mean shipping back to Germany!

Plus the issue with caps! which has been reported in this thread by JohnW.

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I was spooked by comments on here yesterday so I cancelled - first time ever on EPay.
In the cool light of day maybe I shouldn't have cancelled. But - If the caps are original there's always the risk of cap leak damage and it's not as straightforward returning items to the EU now. Lessons learned.

Please help.

I'm enjoying the fruits of a Redhill Audio stage 2 upgrade on my late model Da-Capo, it's sounds wonderful on the 24 - 20 module. Because I have a very revealing system and It sounded so good, i just enjoyed listening to it like that for 6 months. Eventually I tried to use the HDCD module,Looking for even more air space and clarity, plugged it in correctly but no sound at all - nothing.

This threw me as i've been using the player for 6 months without fault. Immediately i replaced it with the 24 - 20 module which confirmed nothing wrong with the player but that something is wrong with the HDCD module.It was sold to me as working. Is it the case that the jumper switches are in the wrong place? Pic of how it was supplied to me and how i plugged it in. Pic doesn't show it but the little white plug that connects to the front display was plugged in to the module. Thanks.

fullsizeoutput_3740.jpeg

Last edited:
Please help.

I'm enjoying the fruits of a Redhill Audio stage 2 upgrade on my late model Da-Capo, it's sounds wonderful on the 24 - 20 module. Because I have a very revealing system and It sounded so good, i just enjoyed listening to it like that for 6 months. Eventually I tried to use the HDCD module,Looking for even more air space and clarity, plugged it in correctly but no sound at all - nothing.

This threw me as i've been using the player for 6 months without fault. Immediately i replaced it with the 24 - 20 module which confirmed nothing wrong with the player but that something is wrong with the HDCD module.It was sold to me as working. Is it the case that the jumper switches are in the wrong place? Pic of how it was supplied to me and how i plugged it in. Pic doesn't show it but the little white plug that connects to the front display was plugged in to the module. Thanks.

View attachment 1041581
The jumpers are above the dac module by the way. You will have all 3 fitted and HDCD needs only 3rd fitted

The jumpers are above the dac module by the way. You will have all 3 fitted and HDCD needs only 3rd fitted
Sorry if this is a stupid question but i'm new to this. I assumed the little switches in the bottom left hand corner of the HDCD chip module need to be in the correct position for it to work? Is this right? No1 switch position is on the left in the picture, the other 3 are on the right. Is this correct? In these positions i'm hearing nothing at all. Thanks.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but i'm new to this. I assumed the little switches in the bottom left hand corner of the HDCD chip module need to be in the correct position for it to work? Is this right? No1 switch position is on the left in the picture, the other 3 are on the right. Is this correct? In these positions i'm hearing nothing at all. Thanks.

did you set the jumpers above the dac module as per my description? (Above Dac module - proper jumpers like an old motherboard - not filter where the other switches are).

Re the dip switches you are asking about here I think they allow options to be set I have two pics of different da-capo units with HDCD filters and one all dips are set to left and other top two are right and bottom two are left.

Iirc scaling (stock setting is internal) is an HDCD setting that allows HDCD to go louder than CD by 6db however turning it to external allows CD’s to produce full output which would improve sound quality of CD’s but make average level of HDCD sound quieter in comparison (part of HDCD spec meant it had to peak 6db louder than CD due to larger dynamic range available so in da-capos case to meet the spec they had to slightly lower CD max output level. So having this dip left or right wouldn’t stop it producing sound.

you could try all dips to left which defo works.

john

Last edited:
No i haven't, I don't know where these are or what they look like? Can you pinpoint on here where they are?

View attachment 1042252
Straight above the DAC module (the metal box that isn’t the filter…

there are 3 jumpers (even has 1 2 and 3 written on circuit board beside each jumper) you have them all closed (ie connected) that’s fine for 24bit but HDCD requires only 3 fitted and the other two open circuit (basically refit 1 and two so the jumpers are only on 1 pin not both)

P.s. if the HDCD filter works you won’t be plugging the 24bit one back in. :)

P.s. if the HDCD filter works you won’t be plugging the 24bit one back in. :)

Many thanks mr-mac much appreciated! It's just gone past midnight and too late to effect this change right now but i'm extremely eager to get to the bottom of it tomorrow. I've read and heard so much about the HDCD filter throughout this thread that i'm like the kid in a sweet shop and can't wait now. Thanks again. :)