Behringer DCX2496 questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've read everything on the DCX2496 that searches have turned up, but I'm still not clear on some of the basics.

1. Would a non-Golden Ear objectivist type person hear a degradation in sound when not using a digital volume control, i.e., using the volume-controlled pre-outs from a pre/pro?

It seems that the 25 dB or so of volume range I normally use would still leave plenty of dynamic range.

2. Is the output from a typical consumer receiver sufficient to drive the DCX2496?

3. How user friendly is the DCX2496, in particular for adjusting the parametric EQ? Can it be adjusted in real time in one window of a PC while seing the RTA (from TrueRTA) results in another window?

4. Can multiple XO filters be cascaded to get, say, 96 dB/oct (aiming for poor man's DEQX)?

Thanks very much

1. Would a non-Golden Ear objectivist type person hear a degradation in sound when not using a digital volume control, i.e., using the volume-controlled pre-outs from a pre/pro?
IMHO, no. I can tell you that it is dead quiet in my setup with 90 db sensitivity speakers and the Teac T amps. To me, it sounds fabulous. My advice is to try it with the 2 channel volume first.
2. Is the output from a typical consumer receiver sufficient to drive the DCX2496?
The output of a CD player is sufficient in my case.
3. How user friendly is the DCX2496, in particular for adjusting the parametric EQ? Can it be adjusted in real time in one window of a PC while seing the RTA (from TrueRTA) results in another window?
It took me about 15 minutes to get the hang of it.
The parametric equalizer is very easy to use. If you are programming from the PC interface, it graphs the transfer function as you set it.
4. Can multiple XO filters be cascaded to get, say, 96 dB/oct (aiming for poor man's DEQX)?
I understand that the DEQ(X) uses a different digital filter scheme with different limitations. The DCX the cascaded filters would have the same group delay as an analog filter with the same slopes.

HTH

Doug

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.