DCX2496 update problem

Back in the days, I updated most of my DCX to 1.17 and had no issues - and also no obvious feature addition... I remember some minor changes in the revisions of the hardware back then (aside from the obvious relaunches a few years back).... But I never encountered any reliable complete documentation on what exactly changed with which firmware exactly changed what (there is no official doc whatsoever - at least I never found one)..

Bottom line: If it works, don´t change it.
If its completely broken and you only have a more recent version to re-flash: Should work.

Remember: Reflashing the whole eeprom is a different story than using the software. If software RS232 fails - only a eeprom burner can help.

Important in any case: Do a reset after with the first power on of the device to force the unit to re-init everything and load defaults. Missing that step can lead to weird issues..

I had some complete dumps of 1.16 and 1.17 somewhere. Sent these out to douzens of peoples over the years and never got any problems reported back, seems to work....

Reactions: 1 user
Bottom line: If it works, don´t change it.
That is rather what I'd concluded! thanks for the confirmation. :) I have found that this new (older) model seems to run out of memory more readily and warn me to pull out settings compared with my recent ultradrive (in fact ive never had that message before)...I'm not doing anything very complicated with it..if anything less EQs and less channels. I had read somewhere on a jbl forum that the newer firmware addressed memory usage a bit but that's far from proven I suspect.

Since most units "just work", I suspect no one has taken up the effort to do a deep investigation of any changes and faults. Hardware showrtcomings like the ribbon cable issues or some timiming glitches (for PA usage more or less not important, but some hifi.guys did some modding to de.jitter the unit) have been adessed and are easier to pinpoint.

Reactions: 1 user
Back in the days, I updated most of my DCX to 1.17 and had no issues - and also no obvious feature addition.
I do wonder if they did some better memory management in the later firmware. It's frustrating to get pinged for full memory without really stacking that many settings. I'm pretty sure my later dcx is better in this regard. I think I do have an OG computer with a serial port but maybe it's just too risky. 🙂

Maybe they changes something, It would be nice to have a changelog, but I have never encountered a reliable information about that..
Flashing via serial works - until you brick the device - then only reprogramming the Eeprom will help..
Remember to do a reset after flashing first time you power on (I THINK it was holding the page left/right buttons simulationiosly while powering on - but you better check here in the thread for confirmation..).

I rarely ran into memory shortages, over the years I put less and less processing on my speakers :) But of course, if its needed and it doesn´t work... thats not how it should be..

good luck !