Need help building AK5394 ADC

I'm using USBStreamer as USB-I2S interface in I2S master mode to connect to Ak5394 as I2S Slave mode but it didnt work.
Attachment is my build schematic and some document.

Attachments

• NGUYENANH_V2.pdf
    637.6 KB · Views: 90
  • USBStreamer Manual.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 107
  • ekd5394a.pdf
    343 KB · Views: 114
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Could you be more specific than "it didnt work"?

Do you get no output at all?
Is the output heavily distorted?

You haven't shown how the ADC is connected to the USBStreamer.

Where does the MCLK come from? Is it straight from the USBStreamer?
The USBStreaner outputs 22.5792 or 24.576 MHz MCLK. The AK5394A won't like that, since it needs half of these frequencies to work.

I assume that the signals A to H have been connected correctly, with short wires and ground wires, ideally one ground wire per signal. At least for the high speed signals. The DFS0 and DFS1 are "static", so not so critical.
What have you connected the reset input (E) to?

You should probably reverse the polarity of your input capacitors, since you have 2.5 V on the right side and most likely around 0 VDC on the inputs.

Have you considered protection of the analog inputs of the AK5394A?

Thank you JensH, i know you are good at this. I found out the problem and fixed it, i used 74hc4040 to divide the MLCK clock by half and it's working but i am not sure the clock output from 4040 are sync with the original Usbstreamer's MLCK, because the 4040 have Negative−edge triggering clock input.
I also have another question. I will use many input and output to many ADC/DAC, and i need something like a i2s buffer circuit for usbstreamer i2s, can you help me find the right IC to build the circuit?
Thank you so much.

After turn on the circuit about 5 minutes, the 5V regulator 7805 is very hot even there is only AK5394 (with i2s connected) and LM1117 3.3V are running, i checked everywhere but nothing seem hot except the 7805. When disconnect i2s, the 7805 is not that hot anymore. Can you help me with this problem?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The phase of the MCLK is not critical, as long as t´he MCLK and I2S clocks are locked in frequency, which they will be.
The speed of the 74HC4040 is perhaps a bit marginal if you run it at 3.3 V, but if it works, it is probably OK for now.

I assume that more or less any high-speed buffer can be used, e.g. a 74LVCxx type. The jitter of the I2S signals are not critical, only the jitter of the MCLK.

What supply voltage do you use for the 7805? If you feed it with a 15 V supply you will dissipate around 1.5 W in the regulator. So you should use a heat sink.

Perhaps the AK5394A uses less power when the I2S clocks are not available?
In some cases it may actually consume more power though. From the datasheet:
"All external clocks must be present unless RSTN pin = "L", otherwise excessive current may result from abnormal operation of internal dynamic logic."