DAC for Mac Mini M1?

Hey guys,

I was running a Mac OS for like 10 years on a hackintosh -- Intel 3770 with a motherboard that had SPDIF out.

I could play 24/96 to my FIIO DAC via S/PDIF all these years.

Unfortunately, my 3770 system died and I had to replace it. I went with Mac Mini M1 since it provides so much power and is so quiet at an affordable.. I got for $649. However, the Mac Mini M1 does not have an S/PDIF output. I am currently running my audio out of the Mac Mini M1 to my SAMSUNG TV via HDMI, then my Samsung TV's S/PDIF output runs into my FIIO DAC.

Also unfornately the SAMSUNG HDMI to SPDIF connection limits the sample rate to 48khz, although it's 24 bit.

I would like my chipamp / first watt buffer preamp to be able to play 24/192. (the amp and preamp are both superb and diy.. i think it'll last me the rest of my life)

Any suggestions on how I should get this Mac Mini M1 audio output to my system at this 24/192? Perhaps something that sounds amazing and is affordable? This FIIO only cost me like $30 and it wasn't bad at all.. I made some mods to it with linear power supply and some extra capacitors etc.

Should I get a USB DAC? Or is there an audiophile wireless solution these days? That way I can connect to my audio system from any device without any loss of quality?

Last edited:
While not a budget option, I can highly recommend the offerings from Mutec. They will convert a USB audio stream into any digital file format you want to utilise. While I have a slightly older version than the current unit, the difference it made to my already impressive sounding system was quite noticeable.
MUTEC - Professional A/V and High-End Equipment - MC-3+ USB

JUST FYI this is the unit I have. It's discontinued but you might find a used one on eBay. (And I run it from a Mac Mini.)
MUTEC - Professional A/V and High-End Equipment - MC-1.2Product discontinued!

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
The Focusrite devices are solid. I had a Saffire for the better part of a decade. Liked it. The Scarlett series is similar, just with USB instead of Firewire.

I'd use a USB DAC with the Mac, especially if you want support for 24/192, which the Mac supports natively through USB Audio Class 2.

Tom

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I concur. You get a lot of functionality for your $ with Focusrite at less than audiophile prices.

Have there been any reviews of the audio performance of the new MacMini? Apple seems to be upgrading their attention to audio lately. I know it's heresy but what does the audio out sound like on a Mini?

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I haven't either, but why not give it a try? I have plugged my Sony WH-1000MX3 headphones via a wire into a recent MacBookPro and been totally surprised at the quality. 5 years ago that would not have been the case. I'm just curious if Apple is paying even more attention to audio quality now that they are streaming uncompressed and hi-def music, and even Dolby Atmos.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Audio quality is not very special and mine does produces artefacts (also video artefacts but those are mostly solved now).

Why not use a dedicated player en use the M1 for controlling the device? Minimal cost and way better sound quality. If quality counts that is, I notice many to accept mediocre sound as long as it is a one device affair everything is OK.

A simple used Cubox with Volumio, A RPI 3 etc. can be good sources.

Last edited:
I bought a Schiit Modi 3+ last night and should have it in a few days. It was $99 plus $12 shipping , plus tax. Came to around $120 total for everything. It got some pretty good reviews and I like that you can power it externally on separate usb-c port. The $109 Topping D10s DAC I looked at was only powered by the USB port. Of curse I don't know what I'm talking about but just speculating it'd sound better externally powered... perhaps with a linear power supply instead of switching.

I also rip my CD to Apple Lossless and it's easy to play any album from my collection in Apple Music (formerly called iTunes). I also have recorded vinyl to 24/96 and play from iTunes (Apple Music).

I am not sure how I'd control some external device to play music, with the mac.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
FLAC is the way to independence. Proprietary formats are a lock-in to certain vendors causing incompatibility and dependance. Only playing back and being dependent of internet connection, subscription costs and in the end owning nothing are IMO not positive features. Reasons enough to skip that for me. Of course the vast amount of albums and ease of use are positive aspects.

Volumio devices can be controlled from the Mac without any issue. Although Apple devices tend to be the exceptions in many fields, remote controlling devices is as easy as on other platforms as it is just typing the IP number of the device and you'll get a GUI with all bells and whistles. If you choose a device with built in harddisk or SSD the setup is simple. If you shutdown the computer after having done a task you can continue controlling the audio device with a smart phone. All easy.

Last edited:
Right now I have 3 free monthhs of Apple Music so I haven't paid anything yet. I often pick up CD's from flea market for $1 or 50 cents. Then rip them to M4A apple lossless.. I can convert that Apple Lossless so easy to FLAC if I wanted.. but I love apple's apps for playing Apple Lossless.