Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

DAC for Mac Mini M1?
DAC for Mac Mini M1?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2021, 02:10 AM   #41
Jennifer G is offline Jennifer G  United States
diyAudio Member

Today, I received in the mail, both the Schiit Modi 3+ and Topping D10s. To me the Modi 3+ sounds much better and my BF agrees. I tried the D10s S/PDIF output to my FIOO at 96khz and it doesn't sound as good as the Modi 3+. So I am gonna stick with the Modi 3+.. sounds wonderful. Listening to 24/96 Hi-Res Lossless from Apple Music and Thriller as well. Fabulous.

You have to put your ear right on the Mac Mini M1 to hear fan running, and that's if you put it under full load which i hardly ever do. It varies fan speed according to load.

The sound is lossless on the mac mini m1 and going to the dac via digital. So I think your argument that it doesn't sound as good makes no sense. It should sound identical, especially if I use an external linear power supply for the dac.

Last edited by Jennifer G; 14th June 2021 at 02:14 AM.
Old 14th June 2021, 02:26 AM   #42
rayma is online now rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Be sure to burn in your new equipment for at least a couple of weeks before making any decisions.
The sound will change (for the better) during that time.
Old 14th June 2021, 02:27 AM   #43
diyAudio Member

You might have a point about the Mac now that I think about it. Like I have the Modi 3+ output setup as 24/192.. when it plays 44.1 files it up samples it to 192.. instead of 176 (4 x 44.1 khz). I use the Audio Midi Mapper tool to change the sample rate from 192 to 176 for 44.1 tunes and i am thinking it sounds better, I dunno.

Maybe your concern is the audio runs through the digital mixer in the os? Changing all the sample rates to 24/192?
Old 14th June 2021, 02:29 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

Thing is I use my Mac for everythign. Movies, youtube videos, audio etc. I don't want to switch preamp to audio input for music only, not being able to hear system alerts like Calendar events, etc. Also I have to get up and walk across room every time I switch back and forth between computer and say an external audio device for playign music.
Old 14th June 2021, 02:32 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

Yeah 44.1khz Apple Music files (iTunes) sound better at 176 vs 192.. sounds cleaner. I need a tool that goes up in the top right of system menu bar to allow me to toggle between 176 and 192 for when I listen to hi-res lossless vs. just lossless cd quality.
Old 14th June 2021, 02:37 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

If I use some external device for playing music I might just get one with a s/pdif output if possible, then I can run it into the toslink in the Modi 3+ and use the switch on the front to change between USB (Mac Mini) and S/PDIF (external device).
Old 16th June 2021, 09:55 AM   #47
linuxfan is offline linuxfan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer G View Post
I just bought the Topping D10s DAC last night
so thinking about just using it as a USB to S/PDIF bridge and then feed that into my old FIIO DAC or into the Modi 3+.
That's highly convoluted, and sound quality will take a hit. Just use the USB input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer G View Post
I have the Modi 3+ output setup as 24/192.. when it plays 44.1 files it up samples it to 192.
Yes, ideally you want your operating system to output the source audio file's native sample rate. In Windows you can do this with a WASAPI or ASIO driver.
On Mac there are third-party applications which will change the Mac's sound output settings on-the-fly, as required by the audio source file:
Pure Music
CHANNEL D - Pure Music
Amarra Luxe
Amarra Luxe
Audirvana
Home - Audirvana
Old 16th June 2021, 03:46 PM   #48
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

DAC for Mac Mini M1?
PureMusic works well. Support is good. Very good.

dave

DAC for Mac Mini M1?Hide this!Advertise here!