DAC for Mac Mini M1?

Today, I received in the mail, both the Schiit Modi 3+ and Topping D10s. To me the Modi 3+ sounds much better and my BF agrees. I tried the D10s S/PDIF output to my FIOO at 96khz and it doesn't sound as good as the Modi 3+. So I am gonna stick with the Modi 3+.. sounds wonderful. Listening to 24/96 Hi-Res Lossless from Apple Music and Thriller as well. Fabulous.

You have to put your ear right on the Mac Mini M1 to hear fan running, and that's if you put it under full load which i hardly ever do. It varies fan speed according to load.

The sound is lossless on the mac mini m1 and going to the dac via digital. So I think your argument that it doesn't sound as good makes no sense. It should sound identical, especially if I use an external linear power supply for the dac.

Last edited:
You might have a point about the Mac now that I think about it. Like I have the Modi 3+ output setup as 24/192.. when it plays 44.1 files it up samples it to 192.. instead of 176 (4 x 44.1 khz). I use the Audio Midi Mapper tool to change the sample rate from 192 to 176 for 44.1 tunes and i am thinking it sounds better, I dunno.

Maybe your concern is the audio runs through the digital mixer in the os? Changing all the sample rates to 24/192?

Thing is I use my Mac for everythign. Movies, youtube videos, audio etc. I don't want to switch preamp to audio input for music only, not being able to hear system alerts like Calendar events, etc. Also I have to get up and walk across room every time I switch back and forth between computer and say an external audio device for playign music.

I just bought the Topping D10s DAC last night
so thinking about just using it as a USB to S/PDIF bridge and then feed that into my old FIIO DAC or into the Modi 3+.
That's highly convoluted, and sound quality will take a hit. Just use the USB input.

I have the Modi 3+ output setup as 24/192.. when it plays 44.1 files it up samples it to 192.
Yes, ideally you want your operating system to output the source audio file's native sample rate. In Windows you can do this with a WASAPI or ASIO driver.
On Mac there are third-party applications which will change the Mac's sound output settings on-the-fly, as required by the audio source file:
Pure Music
CHANNEL D - Pure Music
Amarra Luxe
Amarra Luxe
Audirvana
Home - Audirvana

I just got a new M1 Mac Mini.

I do high end audio (music server dedicated audio system) but for desktop music and my previous Intel Mac Mac mini I used the audio out from the Mini to a Bryston amp and PSB desktop speakers. The sound from the Intel Mac mini audio out was OK, not bad.

But with the new M1 Mac mini now all hooked up and replacing the intel Mac mini....
As I am listening now, the M1 Mac mini sounds noticeably much better via the audio out than the intel Mac mini.

More depth, detail, ambience, and dynamics. Music reproduction has more gravitas and weight.

Low end is much more clear and articulate with a better defined drum thwacks and bass guitar notes much clearer.

Will keep listening but I think the audio out on the M1 Mac mini (Apples built in DAC and little headphone amp) will give sub $500 outboard DACs a run for the money.

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Even my M1 Mac AirBook was light years better than my 2016 MacBook Pro. Apple has definitely noticed that their audio could be much improved and is clearly working on it. Not giving them overwhelming applause though; it is 2022 and most of us noticed the Mac audio could be a lot better in the last millennium.

The mac mini m1 just has a 1/8" headphone out jack. I haven't listened to it but imagine it sounds pretty bad.
The headphone circuit actually sounds good to me. It's certainly not "pretty bad". I use it occasionally when I want to use my AKG 'phones (I dislike headphones). The DAC I use with my M1 is the JDS Labs Atom DAC+. Not as good as my BorderPatrol, but plenty good enough for me for desktop listening, via the Qobuz streaming service. Everybody is different, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but when I want to listen to "good" music, it's back to the turntable in the listening room . . .