Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

DAC for Mac Mini M1?
DAC for Mac Mini M1?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th June 2021, 07:43 PM   #31
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

DAC for Mac Mini M1?
Bummer.

I have a Shitt Gungnir… it won’t be an issue when i get a new MacMini.

dave
Old 11th June 2021, 07:53 PM   #32
Jennifer G is offline Jennifer G  United States
diyAudio Member

Oh the Gungnir is a fancy one if I recall costing what near $1000? Very nice.
Old 11th June 2021, 08:01 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Another nice thing about Apple Mac Mini M1 as audio source computer for your library, is that it runs completely silent since it is ARM architecture and 5nm. I think it's average wattage while used is something like 15w and 25w peak? less than 5w idle.. ridiculously efficient Also it's single core speed destroys all the latest dekstop processors and is almost as fast with respect to multicore compared to the latest i7 and i9 processors. It's 70% faster at opening web pages compared to $10,000 2018 Intel Mac Pro It's a little beast.. and cost me like $649 with 8gb of ram, 256gb ssd. (I use external SSD for Users folder and 8gb of ram seems fine since if it needs to swap it's so fast due to 2800 MB/S internal SSD access.)
Old 11th June 2021, 08:24 PM   #34
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

DAC for Mac Mini M1?
An M1 mini just playing music likely uses less power than your iPhone.

I think the Mx chips are going to really tale some notice.

And a bunch of new OS updates on the way to make it easier for developers to exercise all those cores (and probably multiple processors as well — supercomputer time).

dave
Old Yesterday, 06:35 AM   #35
Zoran is offline Zoran  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Jennifer, try to put some interstage transformer after headphone output 3.5mm jack.
it will act like isolation and analg filter in the same time. Impedance of the H out is low so You dont need big number Henry-s in primary.
It will be better i am almost sure than any well-recensed gadget dac.
IF You have some equipment You can set ringing and propper load of the interstage.
Years ago I tried tha same with different mac-s, mbp, mini with some western electric 1:1 trafo and it was so good. Main thing was that the HF content was much clarer and significantly without noise. In listening and measurements too...
cheers
Old Yesterday, 06:41 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

I just bought the Topping D10s DAC last night as well. It does DSD as well as PCM. It gets both signal and power from the USB port. It has S/PDIF output.. so thinking aobut just using it as a USB to S/PDIF bridge and then feed that into my old FIIO DAC or into the Modi 3+. I'm sorry I just don't believe the headphone jack will sound anything close to my FIIO DAC or the Modi 3+. My FIIO dac sounded better than a $500 DAC i bought along with linear power supply I bought for it.
Old Yesterday, 06:45 AM   #37
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

DAC for Mac Mini M1?
listen both ways.

dave
Old Yesterday, 06:48 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Listen to what both ways? I am goign to try the Topping with my FIIO, Topping alone, Modi 3+ alone, Topping into Modi 3. Compare to the way I have it setup now via HDMI going into TV and from there the 48khz signal to my FIIO.

Are you really suggesting I compare to the headphone jack as well? I guess I can for the heck of it.. but it seems like a joke. Why would I use a DAC in a noisy computer environment then sned it out in a non line level signal which I have to transform or whatever.
Old Yesterday, 06:50 AM   #39
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

DAC for Mac Mini M1?
:^)

I wouldn’t bother with the HP output, can often be used as a pre-out thou.

dave
Old Today, 06:40 AM   #40
jean-paul is offline jean-paul  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer G View Post
Another nice thing about Apple Mac Mini M1 as audio source computer for your library, is that it runs completely silent since it is ARM architecture and 5nm.
Hi as said I have one and it is not completely silent as it has a fan. It is quite silent for such a powerful computer but even a 5 nm ARM octocore CPU uses power and it will thus need cooling. It certainly uses more power than a cell phone Please note there are facts and there is Apple marketing.

It is a good, fast and relatively energy efficient computer like most ARM hardware (ARM is not new and it was used in industrial devices for a long time) but I would never use it for serious audio in any form except remote control of devices. There is way better hardware out there that can play the meanwhile standard high resolution files so 24/96 or 24/192 (or even DSD) which is not as closed as the Apple platform, has less limitations and has better sound quality. And yes the analog output of Mac Mini is a joke.

Last edited by jean-paul; Today at 07:00 AM.
  Reply to this post

DAC for Mac Mini M1?Hide this!Advertise here!