External USB DIY DAC - Questions Please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi - my first post, so please be gentle :)

I recently acquired an External USB DAC - it is one of those DIY Kits, the link is here . The kit was built by the seller who then sold me the completed DAC. It is the "Gold Bundle 2" Kit, with the Amanero Combo384 USB Interface Card. It's the top-end of these DACs as sold from China and to be fair the sounds I'm getting are really superb. It's based around the Sabre ES9038Pro Dac (8 channels split into 2x4channels in parallel to produce a stereo output.

The seller, whilst knowing his stuff (I think) about the parts making up this DAC, he really had no extensive experience with it as my questions fell on deaf ears mainly, leaving me to find out what it was capable of myself. This I have done, within my Setup. I won't go into the full details but I've established its capability with my DSD files - Using UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro) I get up to DSD128 and with Windows (with AISO drivers), up to DSD512 - all of which are to spec. I believe I am also getting up to 32-bit/384Khz flac files playing as they should do too, but have still to complete my tests.

I am feeding the DAC into my intergrated Receiver a Yamaha RX-A1070, via the DAC's RCA outputs. My Yamaha uses a Sabre9006 dac. I set my receiver to "Pure Direct" and the results have really been astonishing - far far better than playing these files using the Yamaha alone.

OK - so I now want to try to setup this same USB DAC with a Vintage Sugden A48 mkII amp. Reason? Well I don't want to mess with my Yamaha, which has been set up for Movie playback - using a sub and my main speakers set (in the Yammy) to play the bass through this sub. Pure Direct knocks out my sub and so unless I elect to play with Pure Direct Off and utilise my sub, playback completely lacks bass.

What I want to do is get an AMP switch which will allow me to switch my speakers to playback from my Yamaha or the Sugden. This will determine which is better.

Questions: -

• What do you think about playing an External DAC through a vintage Amp?

• Would it be possible to upgrade the Amanero Combo384 card to one which would allow moreflexibility - ie; so I could get up to DSD512 using UAPP (on an Android Tablet) without being forced to go on to Windows? If so could you point me to one please?

• I'd like to experiment with Tidal streaming - my DAC isn't "MQA Certified", so at the moment I don't get the second "unfold" with MQA (Master) files, so am restricted to 24-bit/96Khz playback and not 24-bit/192Khz. Is this down to the DAC or the Amanero USB Interface card?

Thanks for reading, if you've got this far - I look forward to any help :)

Thanks

Last edited:
The dac board that you linked to looks like one other people in this part of the forum have already used, modified, and made to sound considerably better. It has a number of problems, most of which can be fixed, but not the mono-AVCC voltage regulator output routing to the dac chip.

Regarding DSD512, it usually requires a fast PC to produce it. To the best of my understanding, commercial DSD512 releases either don't exist or are very rare. The main use of DSD256/DSD512 by most people is make CD audio reproduction sound better. Conversion of 16/44 PCM to DSD512 using certain filters and modulators can require a SOA high powered PC.

Regarding MQA, never bothered with it myself but IIRC MQA can be unfolded in software or hardware since its just a digital algorithm. When done in hardware its up to the dac designer to allocate hardware for it. IIRC Topping D90 MQA version uses a higher powered XMOS USB chip to do most or all of the unfolding work.

Also, one thing about high resolution releases is that they are often recorded as DXD then converted to the final distribution format. Initially there was only one DXD recorder available on the market. IMHO everything it digitized sounded somewhat sterile to me (different recordings all sounded the same in a particular way that I didn't like; IMHO they should have sounded more different from each other since they were recorded differently on different equipment, in different studios, etc.).

@Markw4 - I'm grateful for your response, but you haven't answered my questions - you have just given me an opinion about the DAC board. You've attempted to answer my question on Tidal streaming but again just given me an opinion.

Anyone else prepared to give me answers to my questions please?

Although you asked for an opinion in the first question,
"What do you think about playing an External DAC through a vintage Amp?," there is no reason why it could not be done. It would be more a question of whether you like the resulting sound.

EDIT: Regarding the Amanero USB interface, it can be flashed with firmware to play DSD512 (if it does not have that version already). This assumes it a real Amanero and not a Chinese clone. Regarding compatibility with UAPP, it depends on the driver model they use. If it is linux based, then there are already drivers available for most USB boards.

Last edited:
Thank you @Markw4 much appreciated.

I'm just looking for an excuse to bring out of hibernation my old Sugden a48 MkII :) I appreciate my DAC kit isn't state of the art but it's not bad either. It sounds awesome to be honest and far better than my Integrated AVR's DAC, a Sabre ES9006. I have got samples of all DSD and PCM files at just about all resolutions. The specs of my DAC (did you read them?) do say that DSD256 and DSD512 are supported but through Windows, using the AISO drivers. Yes I have got these high resolution files playing using an i5 Windows Laptop, running Foobar2000 and using the AISO drivers, which I got from Amanero's website - inline with Amanero's specs.

They sound really good too! I really would like to use UAPP on my Android Tablet - but all I can get is up to DSD128. My tests with PCM files is still work in progress. It would be marvellous to be able to flash the Amanero Combo384 but are you suggesting that DSD256 and DSD512 files could be played without having to resort to Windows? The Card's specs suggests Windows is necessary for these higher resolutions.

As far as I know the interface card is for real and not a fake, but how can you tell? My question though was whether it could be replaced with a better one and if the card can decode MQA or not. I'm guessing that the Card isn't what decodes, it's the DAC itself but I am a total noob so I don't know - hence my question.

Would appreciate some more help please.

ASIO is a type of driver that allows the Windows sound engine to be bypassed. Microsoft does not provide ASIO drivers with its operating systems. That's only Windows stuff.

Linux and MacOS are different. Most drivers are bundled with the OS and ASIO is not needed (since they are not Windows). Linux has built-in support for high sample rate PCM and DSD, including for Amanero. Don't know about any sample rate limitations of MacOS. The other possible limitation could be hardware. A low power tablet may not be able to handle the sustained high data transfer rates required for DSD512.

Also, if you have a real Amanero its probably not the USB card that is a limitation for DSD512. Maybe some useful information in another thread: USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter

I have not seen or heard of a USB board/card/adapter that supports MQA decoding. Not that in theory one couldn't, it probably could be done. There would be licensing cost for the manufacturer and they would likely want to make sure they could sell enough product to make a profit, assuming of course that MQA would agree to grant them a license in the first place.

Last edited:
Thanks for this further information.As mentioned previously, I have got my DAC working with Windows 10, after installing the ASIO drivers and can happily get DSD256 and DSD512 playing nicely. However I find my Samsung Tablet (Android) to be much more convenient. This poses problems too in that I need to use a powered USB hub as obviously the tablet only has one USB port. But using the installed UAPP on the tablet, I can only get up to DSD128 to play. After reading the attached pdf file (downloaded from Amanero's website) I believe that my experience fits the specs.

For more information regarding my DAC, I'm attaching a pic of my Card and a pic of the DAC itself.

Can you advise from examining these attachments whether or not my Amanero Combo384 is fake or not please? And any further thoughts about this DAC? Thanks

Attachments

• combo384-D.pdf
    341.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210307_103519.jpg
    20210307_103519.jpg
    1,013 KB · Views: 259
  • 20210307_103535.jpg
    20210307_103535.jpg
    994.8 KB · Views: 173
Regarding DSD512 on Amanero, try flashing:
CPLD Firmware Selection "Slave_for_1080"
CPU Firmware Selection "DSD512x48x44"

Please see the Amanero firmware page: Amanero Technologies

EDIT: The Chinese clones look very similar to the real thing, although build quality is visibly better for the real ones. One difference I noticed is that the component marked L1 on the board should be a ferrite bead. On clones L1 usually appears to be a resistor.

Real Amanero boards are only sold directly from the Amanero website or from a small number of distributors: Amanero Technologies Normal price is around $100 USD. If bought from ebay seller for $35 then very likely a clone.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.