Choosing my next DAC (build?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey everyone,

The wife and I just relocated to the EU. I brought my entire system with me except my DIY DAC (for various logistical reasons).

Now, I need to decide if I'm buying a new DAC or building it myself.

The DAC that I had was based on ANK's DAC. It had an ANK DAC board, a JLsounds USB input, and a tube output stage that was built by a friend of mine. The sound was wonderful, it was natural and dynamic - but it was far from perfect. I can certainly "live" with that sound, but ill be more than happy to get more. I would say that the R2R NOS sounds is definitely my style.

So, here are the options I was thinking about:

• Not build anything and get a Denafrips DAC (probably their entry-level model)
  • Get an ANK Kit.
  • Build something "from scratch" based on the Soekris.

It's important to note - I have a very limited understanding of electronics. I can assemble anything, I can soldier well and my entire system is DIY (from speakers to tube amps to phono stage to turntable) - but it's only because I can follow the schematics.

In a perfect world, I guess I would have built a Soekris DAC with a tube output of some sort - but I'm concerned that the knowledge base on the Soekris is too technical for me.

So - what's you take here? I would love to get your input.

Thank you!
Tank out.

Last edited:
The Soekris DAM 1021 is not difficult to work with doing DIY. I have done that, and would describe myself close to you when it comes to knowledge. There is a huge range of modifications, and it might look scary but if you get the latest version, you will get a very good solution without modifications of the more tricky kinds on the board. You then have to add a USB to I2s extension, and some power supply, but nothing difficult. Depending on your next in line, you might take the output directly from the dac, before the built-in amplification.

DACs are maybe more unlike audio gear than any other major component. There is RF and analog audio in close proximity, for one thing. Layout becomes much more of an issue. Multilayer PCBs are needed for good results. In other words, understanding how to read schematics will only get you so far.

Therefore, I would suggest not trying to start from the schematic level unless you want to start down a road of learning a lot about how to properly build dacs. If that's your interest, fine. If you just want the best dac you can get for some budget you have, I would suggest to get a finished dac or at least a hobbyist board already mostly finished.

Regarding the Seokris entry level board, there has been a lot of recent discussion by owners expressing dissatisfaction about how the clock servoing works to track incoming digital audio source frequency. Some users say it adversely affects the sound. Don't know if that might be an issue for you or not.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Hi,

So you had an AD1865 K grade AN DAC and you liked it.

Look at Quangho in the group Buy merchand section that sells the Andrea Ciuffoli design with tube outputt. In the member GB section Paddy Garcia is maybe still proposing genuine AD1865 K grade from Rochester (so guaranted to be genuine as true NOS stock).

So - After all the comments here, here's what I think I should do:

JL sounds USB > Soekris Dam > Tube output

Now I just need to choose the right "lego" blocks:

- Power supply for the DAM
- Tube output board
- power supply for the tube output section
- Controllers for the DAM board (screen, filter selection etc...)

I would obviously prefer as little P2P soldering, and use well-known boards and products with a good knowledge base.

For the tube output - how about one of Broskies boards? either a line stage or a buffer board? some of them have onboard regulated power supplies (but I'm not sure if they're good enough for such a sensitive environment).

Would love to get some feedback (maybe i should start a new thread for this?)

Thank you all,
Tank out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.