Implementing a true FIFO buffer with low phase noise clock on the Soekris DAM1021 DAC

^^^
This is patently incorrect; a Steinway and a Kawai (or any two different pianos, even of the same brand) would have clearly different C4 spectra (or any other note, for that matter). Easily identified by instrumentation, and, I suspect, as easy to identify in a double blind test, ears only, after some training.

Next time try to find a proper example to support your quest about nothing.

^^^
This is patently incorrect; a Steinway and a Kawai (or any two different pianos, even of the same brand) would have clearly different C4 spectra (or any other note, for that matter). Easily identified by instrumentation, and, I suspect, as easy to identify in a double blind test, ears only, after some training.

Next time try to find a proper example to support your quest about nothing.

If I don't see the measurement I don't believe it, you're just speculating.

Since you are so obsessed, please provide the measurements, otherwise the Steinway and the Kawai are the same.

And since you are not able to hear the difference between two DACs with similar THD you are not even able to hear the difference between the two pianos.

The linked video talks about the effects of jitter that are most well-understood. It doesn't get into the topic of phase noise at all, particularly what is known as 'close-in phase noise.' IMHO, the video is fine as an introduction for people that are new to the subject. However, there is much more that could be said about it. With regard to what humans can or can't hear in terms of jitter/phase-noise effects in particular dac architectures using today's SOA reproduction systems, my personal belief is that the old research is outdated, and seriously in need of a do-over. Other people prefer to have other beliefs. Given that there is a long history or disagreement and arguing about the subject, people can decide for themselves what dac design they think is acceptable for them.

Given that there is a long history or disagreement and arguing about the subject, people can decide for themselves what dac design they think is acceptable for them.

I disagree and qualify your assessment as an unsubstantiated made up. Although asked many times to present any evidence (measurements and/or controlled listening tests), you never showed anything valuable, other than smoke screens.

I disagree and qualify your assessment as an unsubstantiated made up. Although asked many times to present any evidence (measurements and/or controlled listening tests), you never showed anything valuable, other than smoke screens.

So people are no more free to decide for themselves what dac design they think is acceptable for them?
Do they necessarily need measurements and/or controlled listening tests?
I thought that one could choose his dac according to his taste.

Since many still call me a fool because I am trying to improve my DAM1021 by replacing the front end, the attached plot should explain my reasons.

Just in the spirit of this forum: diy audio.

Attachments

• DAM1021_LRCK_3072MHz vs jitter_free_3072MHz.png
    DAM1021_LRCK_3072MHz vs jitter_free_3072MHz.png
    94.4 KB · Views: 225
What are you saying?

They are the measurements of my original DAM1021 without any mod, SPDIF and I2S input, so I called it with its name.

Just compared with a jitter free clock at the same 3.072 MHz.
Just a comparison, have you understood?

P.S.
With all the slaps you take, why don't you stop posting your rants?

Last edited:
Since many still call me a fool because I am trying to improve my DAM1021 by replacing the front end, the attached plot should explain my reasons.

OK, so why would anybody care about this chart? As long as there is no evidence of a correlation of SQ with the phase noise, in particular in this value range. Are you by chance listening to music through a time pod?

OK, so why would anybody care about this chart? As long as there is no evidence of a correlation of SQ with the phase noise, in particular in this value range. Are you by chance listening to music through a time pod?

No, I'm not you who listens to music with your measurements since you are measurements obsessed and you don't find the time to listen to music.

Also, if my audio system is turned off, I just sit at the piano and I start playing.
Le jeux sont faits!

Contact

Hi Andrea,

I wish to speak with you about some of your projects and maybe some finished boards, if you want, you can contact me at rolandvoda@protonmail.com

All the best to you and i am sure there are others who appreciate that you are trying to bring the really high end audio gear (ex: 30000$ and more DAC tech) into DIY while the detractors seem to have some hidden agenda and you should not reply to their pokes, it's energy wasting and consuming, creating nerves and i'm sure it is not worth it, you are not convincing someone who has faith in preconceptions, it's either they hear a comparison and accept the reality of it for what it is or not.

Last edited: