Choosing a DAC/AMP combo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can see how my comment sounds harsh devoid of context. So let me flesh it out a little.

Whether a DAC sounds good or not is largely in my view a matter of personal taste. When I started playing around with DACs around 10 years ago I found the first multibit DAC I listened to (TDA1543) a tad too bland. I missed all that 'detail' which I'd become accustomed to in S-D DACs. These days - having educated my ears over a decade or so - I find 'detail' to be fake and can't spend very long listening to it. Hence my 'borderline unlistenable' comment - it wasn't intended to be dismissive just that I won't devote much attention to that kind of tonal balance.

The DAC I (and my wife) spend time listening to is the one I linked to, one of my own design.

@abraxalito Yes I understand, it all comes down to a matter of tastes. As said earlier I have too many projects for building a diy sound system right now so I am looking for something simpler. Thanks for your input though!

@Guerilla Unfortunately those boxes are too big for my very limited desk space!

The Loxjie A30 is super interesting, too bad it seems to be unavailable everywhere I looked, even on their official aliexpress store. This proves to be more difficult than I imagined!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.