Philips tda1305 (hybrid multi-bit/bitstream DAC with interpolation)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Naim cd players -- at least up until the late 00's-- have that "PRaT" characteristic to their sound. And this regardless of DAC chip they used (1541a, 1305, PCM1702, PCM1704). The "PRaT sounds seems to get baked in if you (as noted earlier) use a separate reg. for each section or IC.
Experimented a little with this strategy, myself, with an old Marantz/Philips cd player. And.... yeah ... PRaT does improve ... but at the "expense" of 3D holographic sound. Some call Naim sound "flat Earth" or 2D.

SUPERB!!!!!!!!! hervorragend!!!!!!!!!!

Well, the above board still has not arrived ....

It arrived today ... SUPERBLY packaged ... large box, many layers of foam wrap, & board was shrunk wrapped.

Here's an iPhone shot of the device in action, powered by a cheap 5v SMPS.

IMG-0400.jpg

First impression: nicht schlecht, aber too early to tell ohne proper burn-in und better PSU.

SUPERB!!!!

A superb update on the board.... had a an old Iomega Zip 5v linear adapter lyin' around. Replaced the el cheapo SMPS wall-wart ... and ....... SUPERB SUPERBNESS shot up a bit. Lotta potential in this board.
But me suspect this thread ain't gonna go viral 'cause o' my ...ahem .... 'tude!!!

The designer that made it is reading the caps thread :cool:....

Although the yelows caps::fim: !
Oh wow!!!!! You're quite the hawkeye .... look, guv ... whatcha 'cpectin' fer a $30 Chinese kit?

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Of course I talked of the littliest that looks like wet tantalum, maybe ceramic class B...

The long axial if a Siemens and if it is, this MKT that sounds quite neutral without any sibilance is quite good but doesn't come cheap???)

Between that violett Elna that are really good for digital power supply at giving a smooth sound and the blue I suspect to be panasonic FC perhaps, I have no doubt we already discussed that in the long lythic cap thread... This is not usual for a chineese board...

Is there two crystal on the B side of the pcb or are the speeds created from the single crystal (so not just used to slave the usb input chip) ???

That's maybe the weak point of it... no good dac without very good digital front end, be it pcm and having less jitter, it matters yet !

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
you're the guy behind it ? Or you really like it ?

That could be fun you give your setup hifi chain detail... it's always about a whole and context...
I remember ErnstErnst fellow that has a little good DAC collection and had a close design to your board but made for a Rpi Dac to have liked it a lot as well, especially given the close same price...

Uhhhhhhhh....

you're the guy behind it ? Or you really like it ?

That could be fun you give your setup hifi chain detail... it's always about a whole and context...
I remember ErnstErnst fellow that has a little good DAC collection and had a close design to your board but made for a Rpi Dac to have liked it a lot as well, especially given the close same price...

Oh .... of course .... yer korrekto-mundo .... it's all a dealer bait-n-switch konspiracy.
Yup .... gramma croaked ... left moi une FORTUNE ... gots cash comin' out da whazoo.
Got a Denafrips and Schiit and a gazillion other toys ... and I ain't even touched the 'heritance .... And nowz ... I be attemptin' to sell $30 dacs??? HUH??? .... is dat whatcha suggestin', diggs?

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Nah :D ... just asked cause you're so enthusiastic and talk like zzzz bbbzzzz in the Fifth Element :irked: or crack :scared: .... dunno :D !

So that's nice for the price, good tip. That means the dac chips (and this board as well) diserve a listening :)
What are the blue caps that have not the golded negative printing as the FC caps have, please ?

SUPERB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup .... gramma croaked ... left moi une FORTUNE ... gots cash comin' out da whazoo.
Got a Denafrips and Schiit and a gazillion other toys ... and I ain't even touched the 'heritance ....
Abso- f r i g g i n'-lutely true... ya' wanna be rich? Ya' whisper sweet nuthin's in da ears o' yer RICH parents and grandparents .... and waits fer dem to croak.

Den, y'all kin 'fford stuff like dis (and have plenty-o-cash left ova fer ANYTHING ELSE):

IMG-0407.jpg

Superb $30 1305 dac vs. still-superb mega-$ Fiio M11-Pro (dual AKM4497).

SEUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPHHHHBBBBB!

SUPERB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'Cause o' moi 'ttitude, da here 1305 board iz gonna gets 'glected ... 'cause I beez a rich, dumb snob.
Gots me $$$$ comin' outta da wazoo .... and it all fer moi...
Lotta toyz, boyz und fille ....

Asus Tinkerboard; Rpi 4+ (both with most 'spensive case from Amazon); Top-o-da-line Straight Wire cable and AudioQuest RF rings; Prometheus I/V (dunno wha dat's doin' dere). And ... 'course ... 1305, my star employee, which I hired full-time, with a generous benefits package including 401k and profit sharing and plenty o' company stock options.

IMG-0408.jpg

IMG-0409.jpg

SUPERB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aye, Guvs .....................

I counted 37 (thirty-seven) high-end CDPs usin' da 1305 .... 'cludin' a bunch-o-Naim's .....and even dis guy ...
File:Bow Technologies Wizard CD player (3556398853).jpg - Wikimedia Commons
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

.. dang straight .... 'cause the thannnnnnnng soundz ABSO-F R I G G I N'-LUTELY SUPERB.
Needz 'vidence? Try da horse's mouth:
The complete d/a DAC converter list - DutchAudioClassics.nl

So when are y'all gonna get off da ES9038Q2M MILQUETOAST diet .... me, I like me meat-n-'taters. UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNN!!!!!!!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.