USB vs. SPDIF -- redux!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It does not harm to be able to play DSD either. Many thought the same about 24/96.... Progressive is progress regardless what one thinks of it. When I see audio guys I know playing high res files on their expensive high res streamers to red book DACs I always smile :) Often the high res streamer has analog outputs....that have never even been tried out.

Again: a lot more things are possible when things are integrated and USB/SPDIF can be omitted. Way less jitter and better signal quality compared to ingenuous solutions to fight jitter. Forget the separate source/separate DAC model.
I tried to find something to read about all weekend - about jitter, dac's, music and everuthing related to this subject.
All I could find, was that DSD is dead - has been for years. Most people struggle to hear a difference between 320kb mp3 and CD.
Second - unless you use extremely poor DAC's and/or poor sources - jitter is not a problem. Maybe it can be measured slightly with very good equipment. But it can most surely not be heard.
USB introduces all kinds of noise problems - which can be avoided in many ways - as long as it's not by silly products like for example the Dragonfly and other gimmicks, simly made to make money of a problem that should never have been there to begin with.
I do agree fully that we shall advance and progress with new technology and make products better. But geez... the marked can hardy withstand more bull, when it comes to audiophiles.
There nothing wrong with either Toslink, Spdif or USB as far as posibilities. It's mostly about selling specs and dreams.
I dont mind using well designed interfaces - no matter the type.... I actually use all 3 of them in my DAC - for 3 different things. They all work fine for their givens purpose. It's like anything else. Use it wisely and for it's intended purpose - then it mostly works just fine.
And I'm not just guessing or bringing up personal opinions. I have actually attended several blindtest with many others, when it comes to high res audio, cables, amplifiers, DAC's and so forth - in all price ranges. Still - the conclusion persist. Most hifi claims are pure spin, marketing and false promises.
From a technical standpoint... there is no reason why Toslink could not be an awesome way of solving all the typical noiseproblems found in spdif and USB - as soon as you understand that in a well designed system - jitter is and will never be a practical problem for audio.

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Jitter may very well be a problem and it shows that the combination of toslink and certain receiver / DAC ships, it went very wrong. Hence the bad rep. But insightfully used with a bit deeper understanding of system integration, toslink can be used with great success.

The most basic don't is: extraction of clock from s/pdif link and use it as mclk. Nono!!

//

//

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The most basic don't is: extraction of clock from s/pdif link and use it as mclk. Nono!!

//

//

Yes but it is/was often done like you describe. The 2 box model was then sometimes an improvement as DAC chips were not very good and development was in full swing. With higher quality DAC chips the 2 box model caused more issues than it solved.

The clock crystals or oscillators in sources are/were an issue as at least 80% of devices used the standard circuit with inherent jitter. I have built countless low jitter clocks as a cure.

So we had DAC chip and digital filter peculiarities, mediocre clocks and SPDIF to try to improve the situation with an external box. It all came down to excessive jitter.

If jitter would not have an influence it is curious receivers with ultra low jitter now exist and ultra low jitter XO’s are used :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.