FreeDSP Classic SMD A/B plus II is on Development

Hi Folks!
Now I'm developing a new version of "FreeDSP Classic SMD A/B" which is named "FreeDSP Classic SMD A/B plus II"
This board has two additional features. Embedded PCM5102 for DIG6/7 output plus Ez-USB Fx2LP board slot for embedded FreeUSBi .
The other features keep the concept as FreeDSP Classic SMD A/B.

• Dual configuration EEPROMs for program A/B selection.
  • 2V r.m.s. Unity Gain I/O
  • Power ON/OFF and Reset muting.
  • I6S(3 times I2S) buffered digital output Header
  • I2S Digital Input
  • Single DC12V power supply.

The current version board had PCBA done at JLPCB. Design information will be updated soon.

CyberPit

Attachments

• Mounted.jpg
    Mounted.jpg
    430.6 KB · Views: 374
  • Working.jpg
    Working.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 399
  • PCBA_Top.jpg
    PCBA_Top.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 356
  • PCBA_Arrived.jpg
    PCBA_Arrived.jpg
    445.8 KB · Views: 385
I would be interested in the other board you've showed in the other thread. From what I saw, it accomodates the ADAU1452/-66 chinese boards.
Any chance to get the gerber files?
'cause I think having the boards shipped from Japan to Austria would be verrrry expensive...

Thank you & Best regards!

Hi all

Just downloaded the project files for this and I am interested in building the it, although there has been no activity since October last year! Is this still actively being developed or is it considered finished?

One query, the project files describe the USBi daughter board with an IDC connector whereas the photograph in this thread shows a USB micro connector, is a separate USBi programmer required or is all that is required a USB cable to the PC running SigmaStudio?

Design already evaluated and released

Hello mkec24-San,

Well, I'm asking to freedsp.cc to add on the list this design...

This version 0.2 design is my Design-Release. Previous version 0.1 board was evaluated by eight people. Fixing/changes between 0.1 and 0.2 are as follows...
(1)Change the Reset pull-up resistor R49 value from 47k to 4.7k
(2)Tie-down PCM5102A pin12 SCK to GND (Invoke PLL for 192kHz fs)
The rest of part is exactly the same as version 0.1, so I believe there's no changes ordered.

Embedded FreeUSBi Slot:
A daughter-board (Ez-USB FX2LP board) is completely the same as original FreeUSBi. One of compatible board image had attached below. You can use ADI's standard IDC-10P Cable from USBi or USB-mini cable even the cape-board installed. (Please use Only-One at a time)

CyberPit

Attachments

• スクリーンショット 2021-02-21 12.22.35.png
    スクリーンショット 2021-02-21 12.22.35.png
    401.5 KB · Views: 222
  • NewFrontPanel.jpg
    NewFrontPanel.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Thank you Cyberpit for clarifying my queries. I have a lifetime in technology but am new to DSP's. My project is to refurbish my 4 way TL's that I built some 43 years ago and are still in daily use (B J Webb Audio Amateur issue 1 1975). My requirement, If I make them fully active, is to have 1in x 4out, for each enclosure, assuming that is possible with the ADAU1701? This I am researching at the moment

Hi mikec24-San,
I've read that article.
Wow, I was impressed your made TL system in '75. :eek:
I tried TL system only four years ago...

My requirement, If I make them fully active, is to have 1in x 4out, for each enclosure, assuming that is possible with the ADAU1701?
Well, you can easily to add 1-3 more PCM5102 output such as ready made DAC board(s) connect to the I2S output header.
SA9227 PCM5102 TDA1308 PCM5102A DAC Decoder I2S Player 32bit Amplifier Board | eBay
I believe, ADAU1701 embedded ADC/DAC has enough quality for the most of audio applications. 96kHz DSP processing with time alignment will be able to implement with this FreeDSP board.:up:

Thank you Cyberpit for that information

My plan would be to assemble two boards, one for each enclosure and so the onboard 4x o/p would, I hope, suffice. Each enclosure would then have power amps, power supplies in an enclosure that the speaker will stand on. Signal either via co-ax, balanced or eventually wi-fi
Looking at the data sheet for the ADAU1701, the ADC's & the DAC's have THD+N figures of 83&90db respectively so around <0.01%. Have you carried out any tests for your design?

The TL's were the best of the best back then and I still think that even with today's drivers, that they will be hard to beat, that is why I am so keen to bring them into the 21st century. I have also built and am now testing, the Blomley class B power amp that may well be part of this upgrade

Hi mikec24-San,
Here's FreeDSP Classic SMD A/B plus2's actual measured overall ADAU1701 embedded ADC-->DAC through performance...

[Fs=48kHz]
48kHz_Distortion.png 48kRemainNoise(22kBW).png
Overall THD=0.0036%, THD+N=0.032%(48kBW)
Input Short relative to clipping level S/N=88.0dB(22kBW)

[Fs=96kHz]
96k_Distortion.png 96kRemainNoise(22kBW).png
Overall THD=0.0058%(22kBW)
Input Short relative to clipping level S/N=86.2B(22kBW)