Problems with DIYINHK XMOS board

I purchased a XMOS Multichannel high-quality USB to/from I2S/DSD SPDIF board from DIYINHK and when plugging in to USB port PC responds with "USB POWER SURGE"

DIYINHK is not responsive I really need this unit to work.

Has anyone found a better way to contact DIYINHK?

:mad::mad:

I was just about to post about another problem im having with the DIYINHK Multichannel interface.
Mine will not play with 24 bit output set in the DIYINHK Control panel, only 16 bit output works.

All output types (WASAPI, DS, KS) and players are affected.
foobar gives an ASIO error 'unable to create buffers'...

I tried 2 different versions of the full driver.

Re your problem: DIYINHK interface does not use USB vbus , check for continuity between vbus and ground with the cable attached (but not plugged into PC)... might be a simple short somewhere.

Could also be a faulty interface doing something to the USB datalines... these are very fragile devices.
I have broken 2 of the standard stereo interfaces in the past with seemingly no cause.
One broke after simply connecting the spdif output to a DAC (others have also reported this happening with to their xmos interfaces)...

When doing anything with them now I make sure to disconnect USB and any other devices, make sure supply is fully off (fully discharged or disconnected completely) and take precautions for static... not taking a single chance.

DIYINHK issues a refund.

OK so I will try again.
I will suggest that they could have ignored a small customer 1/2 a world away but chose not to.

I will post my next attempt when the new board arrives. - BUT I will add ESD diodes to the USB port.

Last edited:
Did a quick a search and DIYINHK seem to have several boards. Make sure there is not too much capacitance on the USB power line - think the limit is 10uF. If you fit anything bigger that will cause the surge protection problem - as I found when i "upgraded" an external USB DAC.

ESD diodes should not make a difference on surge current (unless their voltage rating is less than 5V so they are conducting in normal operationg...)

DIYINHK DXIO trouble shooting

The DXIO board failed due to EOS (an ESD event).
The specific item that failed is the 3.3V regulator.

As part of requirements for refund DIYINHK required that I destroy the board. (see photo).

So no more trouble shooting will be possible. I will however install the GMF05C-HSF ESD diode array on USB DP, DN, +5V (attached) and anywhere else I may use XMOS device I/O.

The diodes are rated for 12Amps peak for an ESD event.

https://files.diyaudio.com/forums/images/attach/pdf.gif

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=878975&stc=1&d=1601161785

Attachments

• GMF05C-HSF.pdf
    154.6 KB · Views: 74
  • DIYHKdxio.jpg
    DIYHKdxio.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
It often takes a couple or three days to get shipping tracking from DIYinHK but from experience they are solid and shipping is quick.

I have bought several items over the last few years with no problems and consider them one of the more reliable vendors from that part of the world :)

I have a couple of their USB to i2c boards and never hot-plug them.

So far no problems at all. Ymmv.

Ive been having this problem with my DIYinHK interface, sometimes when some other mains powered stuff is switched off/on the interface will suddenly stop working, it is still connected and visible in windows and can play in softare but the DAC doesnt receive any data. replugging USB doesnt fix it... it has be fully power cycled.

Could this be related to the missing protection diodes?

Please refer to the official xmos datasheet page 26
https://www.xmos.ai/download/XUF216-512-TQ128-Datasheet(1.17).pdf
2KV ESD HBM protection is already built in the xmos chip.

If the user requires higher ESD protection, they can solder an ESD protection diode directly behind the USB socket easily. We are not selling a complete product, user can always enhance the pcb beyond our imagination.
The default 2kV ESD protection is more than enough for most usage, if the xmos pcb is used in portable device, higher ESD protection may be needed.

The USB 5V from the computer is NOT connected on the multichannel xmos PCB and the pcb cannot/do not use any power from the computer, there is no way it can causes power surge to the computer. Power surge is always caused by bad cable or error modification from the user.

###
There are always user asking about the ESD protection since last year, it looks like it is caused by this thread and I hope it is solved. It is impossible to check every forum on the internet everyday, please use our store message system for any order question. Different situation of different buyer always have different arrangment.
For this buyer, if I don't remember wrongly, due to that pcb version he bought is out of stock at that time, his order is refunded and I also sent another version of PCB to him free to test.

Last edited:
Ive been having this problem with my DIYinHK interface, sometimes when some other mains powered stuff is switched off/on the interface will suddenly stop working, it is still connected and visible in windows and can play in softare but the DAC doesnt receive any data. replugging USB doesnt fix it... it has be fully power cycled.

Could this be related to the missing protection diodes?

We have experence if the soldering iron switch off/on behind the xmos dac combo without enclosure during testing, the i2s stop. I think it is a good demonstration of EMI and EMP.
Wiki also have the related information
Electromagnetic pulse - Wikipedia