Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

ADAU1401/ADAU1701 DSPmini Learning Board
ADAU1401/ADAU1701 DSPmini Learning Board
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2020, 12:30 AM   #1
bradleypnw is online now bradleypnw
diyAudio Member

Default ADAU1401/ADAU1701 DSPmini Learning Board

Hi, I found this on Aliexpress and was wondering if it is a board that can be used to make active crossover speakers. If so, that would be pretty great rather than buying a MiniDSP for each speaker.

Description:

Quote:
Features:
The ADAU1401 is a complete single-chip audio system with built-in 28/56-bit audio DSP, ADC, DAC and microcontroller-like control interface. Signal processing techniques including equalization, crossover, bass boost, multi-band dynamic processing, delay compensation, speaker compensation, and stereo image widening can be used to compensate for the practical limitations of speakers, amplifiers, and listening environments, dramatically improving the sound quality experience.
The ADAU1401 program can be loaded from the serial EEPROM through its self-booting mechanism at power-up or from an external microcontroller. When turned off, the current state of the parameter can be written back to the EEPROM from the ADAU1401 to be recalled the next time the program is run.
Two ADCs and four DACs provide 98.5 dB of analog input to analog output dynamic range. Seamless connection to other ADCs and DACs is possible with digital input and output ports. The ADAU1401 communicates over an I2C bus or a four-wire SPI port.
This edition is suitable for ADAU1401/1701/1702 learning and product use. The ADAU1401 is more stable than the ADAU1701 in the harsh working environment of -40-105 (the ADAU1701 is generally 0-70). The program can be used universally and other indicators are the same. It has self-starting after power-on and can be completely separated from the single-chip operation. Leads to all function ports, which can expand digital I2S input/output/key function/LED drive/auxiliary ADC (potentiometer analog)/encoder volume adjustment.
Application:
Multimedia speaker system
MP3 player speaker
Car audio host
Mini stereo system
Digital Television
Studio monitoring system
Speaker divider
Instrument sound processor
Seat sound system (aircraft / coach)

Specification:
Dimensions: 3.5x5cm/1.38x1.97inch
Color: Green
Quantity: 1 Pc
Note: 1.Please allow 0-1cm error due to manual measurement. pls make sure you do not mind before you bid.
2.Due to the difference between different monitors, the picture may not reflect the actual color of the item. Thank you!

Package includes:
1 x ADAU1401/ADAU1701 DSPmini Learning Board (without retail package)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2020-09-15 172711.jpg (251.1 KB, 64 views)
Old 18th September 2020, 01:10 PM   #2
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

People have used similar low cost DSP chips to make speaker crossovers. Probably doable with the one you mention. However, a DSP chip is only one part of a digital crossover system. There also needs to be a source of digital audio to input into the DSP chip and a dac channel output to drive the power amp for each speaker driver. Those digital audio source and destination devices have to be able to communicate with the DSP chip, which typically occurs at the I2S bus level. Making a whole digital speaker crossover system built around a particular DSP chip can be a fairly complicated undertaking for a beginner.
Old 18th September 2020, 02:48 PM   #3
Solve is offline Solve  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Adau1452 is better but it's not an easy road to get everything working but very fun!
SPDIF in and I2S output working good.
Old 19th September 2020, 01:48 AM   #4
bradleypnw is online now bradleypnw
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solve View Post
Adau1452 is better but it's not an easy road to get everything working but very fun!
SPDIF in and I2S output working good.
Agreed, it's not easy. I've been reading up on the hardware and software. But I'd rather invest my time learning these tools than learning passive crossovers. The stuff you can do with these chips is pretty amazing.

I haven't learned enough yet to understand why Adau1452 is better than adau1401. Or how to identify if a chip is good enough for my intended application.

Last edited by bradleypnw; 19th September 2020 at 01:50 AM.
  Reply to this post

ADAU1401/ADAU1701 DSPmini Learning BoardHide this!Advertise here!