ADAU1401/ADAU1701 DSPmini Learning Board

Hi, I found this on Aliexpress and was wondering if it is a board that can be used to make active crossover speakers. If so, that would be pretty great rather than buying a MiniDSP for each speaker.

Description:

Features:
The ADAU1401 is a complete single-chip audio system with built-in 28/56-bit audio DSP, ADC, DAC and microcontroller-like control interface. Signal processing techniques including equalization, crossover, bass boost, multi-band dynamic processing, delay compensation, speaker compensation, and stereo image widening can be used to compensate for the practical limitations of speakers, amplifiers, and listening environments, dramatically improving the sound quality experience.
The ADAU1401 program can be loaded from the serial EEPROM through its self-booting mechanism at power-up or from an external microcontroller. When turned off, the current state of the parameter can be written back to the EEPROM from the ADAU1401 to be recalled the next time the program is run.
Two ADCs and four DACs provide 98.5 dB of analog input to analog output dynamic range. Seamless connection to other ADCs and DACs is possible with digital input and output ports. The ADAU1401 communicates over an I2C bus or a four-wire SPI port.
This edition is suitable for ADAU1401/1701/1702 learning and product use. The ADAU1401 is more stable than the ADAU1701 in the harsh working environment of -40°-105° (the ADAU1701 is generally 0-70°). The program can be used universally and other indicators are the same. It has self-starting after power-on and can be completely separated from the single-chip operation. Leads to all function ports, which can expand digital I2S input/output/key function/LED drive/auxiliary ADC (potentiometer analog)/encoder volume adjustment.
Application:
Multimedia speaker system
MP3 player speaker
Car audio host
Mini stereo system
Digital Television
Studio monitoring system
Speaker divider
Instrument sound processor
Seat sound system (aircraft / coach)

Specification:
Dimensions: 3.5x5cm/1.38x1.97inch
Color: Green
Quantity: 1 Pc
Note: 1.Please allow 0-1cm error due to manual measurement. pls make sure you do not mind before you bid.
2.Due to the difference between different monitors, the picture may not reflect the actual color of the item. Thank you!

Package includes:
1 x ADAU1401/ADAU1701 DSPmini Learning Board (without retail package)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-15 172711.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-09-15 172711.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 383
People have used similar low cost DSP chips to make speaker crossovers. Probably doable with the one you mention. However, a DSP chip is only one part of a digital crossover system. There also needs to be a source of digital audio to input into the DSP chip and a dac channel output to drive the power amp for each speaker driver. Those digital audio source and destination devices have to be able to communicate with the DSP chip, which typically occurs at the I2S bus level. Making a whole digital speaker crossover system built around a particular DSP chip can be a fairly complicated undertaking for a beginner.

Adau1452 is better but it's not an easy road to get everything working but very fun!
SPDIF in and I2S output working good.

Agreed, it's not easy. I've been reading up on the hardware and software. But I'd rather invest my time learning these tools than learning passive crossovers. The stuff you can do with these chips is pretty amazing.

I haven't learned enough yet to understand why Adau1452 is better than adau1401. Or how to identify if a chip is good enough for my intended application.

Last edited:
Hi, bumping this thread bacause i am trying to get info on the ADAU1701/1401 learning boards. What would be the easiest way to implement basic external volume, bass, and treble potentiometers to these boards? Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• shope pcb.JPG
    shope pcb.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Since you are looking to work on an audio application, I would use one of these boards: https://freedsp.github.io/index.html

I built a freeDSP Classic SMD a few years back, when I needed a low cost DSP to do some crossover simulation and development. It worked like a charm.

1686748956448.png

The Sigma Studio software is relatively easy to learn and IIRC it is relatively easy to use it to implement what you are looking for.

@Dimdim . The FreeDSP link you sent is interesting and i will look further into it. Thank you.

I however have these learning boards already and would like to use them in a powered bookshelf speaker project. Possibly tri/bi-amping and using x-over, eq, and time alignment features on the chip through SigmaStudios. I am familiar with SigmaStudios software using the Wondom boards in the past, and had programmed the 4 pots for specific functions. I am not sure how to connect external pots to the learning boards and get similar functionality to the Wondoms'.

Hi, glide 1-San,
If you build two (Stereo) 3-way powered speakers, you can try FreeDSP Catamaran boards.
It was designed in dual mono architecture with embedded four pots. Especially extreme high-performance differential ADC will be suitable for your case.
Additionally, you need ADI USBi, FreeUSBi, or Connection Conversion adaptor for DB-DP11219 Wondom Programmer.

CyberPIt

People have used similar low cost DSP chips to make speaker crossovers. Probably doable with the one you mention. However, a DSP chip is only one part of a digital crossover system. There also needs to be a source of digital audio to input into the DSP chip and a dac channel output to drive the power amp for each speaker driver. Those digital audio source and destination devices have to be able to communicate with the DSP chip, which typically occurs at the I2S bus level. Making a whole digital speaker crossover system built around a particular DSP chip can be a fairly complicated undertaking for a beginner.
Actually these boards are analogue in and analogue out so ideal for active cross overs.Info is a bit scant on them other than drag and drop setup via AD's software. An eprom is programmed and that's that. ;) It looks like it's stand alone then. Doing it though???? Elector have an article but it assumes their programmer and end result is not that cross over related.

You can get an idea of the performance of the boards the op linked too via this, first rew lines
https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/ADAU1701.pdf

;) However best buy one and evaluate it as per the how to link but it looks to be fairly high fhi.These chips sell in bucket loads and are cheap in products. Buy an AD evaluation board and things are a bit different. Also one off chips.

@Dimdim . The FreeDSP link you sent is interesting and i will look further into it. Thank you.

I however have these learning boards already and would like to use them in a powered bookshelf speaker project. Possibly tri/bi-amping and using x-over, eq, and time alignment features on the chip through SigmaStudios. I am familiar with SigmaStudios software using the Wondom boards in the past, and had programmed the 4 pots for specific functions. I am not sure how to connect external pots to the learning boards and get similar functionality to the Wondoms'.
If you haven't found the answer yet, have a look at Analog's AN-951, Using Hardware Controls with SigmaDSP GPIO Pins https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/application-notes/AN-951.pdf or web search for Controlling DSP (volume) in software, external hardware and with an MCU by Daumemo. You can use the pad at C4 as a source of 3.3v for the potentiometers.

Screenshot 2023-09-25 114850.png