Todays Stupid Question - DSP Crossovers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With the advent of DSP's and using them for crossovers, why at the crossover point can't we just cut the signal? I understand the reason in the analog world but other than "thats the way we used to do it" I don't see why you can't just hand off from one speaker to the next?

With the advent of DSP's and using them for crossovers, why at the crossover point can't we just cut the signal? I understand the reason in the analog world but other than "thats the way we used to do it" I don't see why you can't just hand off from one speaker to the next?

You asked "why can't we". The answer is "we can".

You should probably be asking the question "why shouldn't' we" be doing that, or when should we do it and how should we do it.

I can think of a couple of disadvantages:

When you make the filters very steep, you get a rather abrupt change in directivity. Besides, you get a very poor phase response with minimum-phase filters and a very long pre-echo with linear-phase filters. The woofer's and tweeter's pre-echoes are supposed to cancel each other, but will never perfectly do so.

My experience with digital filters, is that you are making a compromise. You can never do something perfect. And when a midrange has to work in unity with a tweeter, because the theoretical best sound, comes from a single source - you then have to make both drivers blend seamlessly in a way, that you dont notice the crossover.

You could do the opposite of the first order filters and try to make a very sharp filter. But you have to remember that a driver is a mechanical device, which take time to move and stop again - and the size plays a role too. Furthermore - you have to be extremely precise, to make sure that the tweeter does absolutely what the midrange does not - and vice versa. Herein lies the rub. We easily hear when something is out of tune. So even though it might work in theory - my guess is, that it will sound less good, than with a bit of blending in the cross over region.
How much blending? - you might ask. Well.... some make something work - others dont.

What prompted this question is that in a number DSPs I have seen now they all offer the standard analogue filter curves. I understand this when EQing and when starting and ending the filter curves but for crossovers I would have thought we could have steeper curves almost to the point of on/off

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think that what you are envisioning in your mind is not possible. You just cant cut. But you can make very steep filters, like 5,0 khz = 0 dB and say, 6 khz = - 100 dB... that pretty "cut" but not completely cut which is what I guess you are thinking about.

Filters are math, and math says no to "cut".

//

I interpreted the question like this, admittedly a rather free interpretation:

With DSP techniques you can easily make a halfband filter bank where the sum of the output signals matches the input perfectly except for a constant delay, each output signal has the same perfectly constant delay, the low-pass output is within +/- 0.0000087 dB up to 2.9 kHz, at -6.020599... dB at 3 kHz and below -120 dB from 3.1 kHz onwards, and the high-pass output is below -120 dB up to 2.9 kHz, at -6.020599... dB at 3 kHz and within +/- 0.0000087 dB from 3.1 kHz onwards.

Why on Earth would anyone want to use a DSP to mimic an old-fashioned Linkwitz-Riley filter then?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Why on Earth would anyone want to use a DSP to mimic an old-fashioned Linkwitz-Riley filter then?

Because humans can get their heads around them easily and they are cheap to implement in biquads.

Personally I like the idea of being able to swap between LR2 and LR4 or Transient perfect with just a few keyboard taps rather than soldering up different analog crossovers. But that's just me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.