Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Apogee Rosetta 800 +
Apogee Rosetta 800 +
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2020, 05:14 AM   #11
lowpoke is offline lowpoke  Australia
diyAudio Member

I too run an active four way horn system. I use this product for 8 channel analogue volume control and can highly recommend it.
Volume 8 – SPL
Old 16th September 2020, 04:54 PM   #12
Mr BA is offline Mr BA  England
diyAudio Member

Thanks, it looks an interesting unit
Old 20th September 2020, 10:08 AM   #13
krivium is offline krivium  France
diyAudio Member

Great!
What is the outcome?
Old 20th September 2020, 06:42 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I bought it, sounds great.

Have you used ADAT in? I'm thinking of connecting blu-ray player with optical cable to Apogee ? Is this something that you have done ?

Thanks

Barry
Old 20th September 2020, 09:18 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Yes i used ADAT and still use it ( a lot! ..as one of my digital mixing desk run 24/7 at a friend's webradio ( Yamaha 02r to Rme Adat card )). In general i like the optical interface ( spdif too).
It is reliable and sound as good as aes/ebu ( self clocked). It solve many issues regarding groundloops ( if you have a piece of gear with analog involved). They are visually inobstrusive which is nice too.
I don't use it with my Lake as it is aes/ebu oriented but if availlable i would happily do it.
Be careful with cable though, they must be good quality. I'm not saying fancy gold plated thingy i talk about professional gear used in studio.
Check with studio dedicated shop rather than hifi or audiophile.

Last edited by krivium; 20th September 2020 at 09:20 PM.
Old 20th September 2020, 09:26 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

May i ask what kind of filter have been implemented?
Did you choose to have two different settings for music and blu ray or an overall compromise?
Old 21st September 2020, 06:29 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I'm using two different filters, one for listening to music & one for watching blurays.
Music one is FIR, with LR4 crossovers & phase for each driver flattened which if I try to watch blurays has ~ 0.5 seconds delay.
Bluray one is just a basic crossover LR4 slopes, but no time delay.
Hence I was thinking of using optical in from bluray player and then make the filter more sophisticated, need to buy an optical cable
Old 22nd September 2020, 12:49 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

^ ok thank you for clarification.
About Adat and blu ray it didn't occured at first to me but are you sure the bluray have ADAT out?
It could be the case as it could output 8 channels on one optical fibre those being interesting for multichanel setup ( 5/1 or 7/1, whatever...) but not so much for music or LR.
It will work with 2 chanel no issues but could be a waste and spdif optical ( toslink) could make more sense from a brand point of view ( economy).

Anyway if you plan using optical interface to compensate for delay you will be disapointed as most delay with FIR comes from the treatment itself. In other words you can't go back in time.... but you could do the other way around: hold for a fixed amount of time ( equal to your overall audio treatment latency) your 'image' video message.

This is availlable task in something like Jriver. I don't know what is your plan longterm for pc/filters ( stay with reaper and it's deconvolution engine?), but there may be a dedicated video plugin or function included in reaper to do same thing.

If available you could have something like blu ray hdmi to pc hdmi input card to enter everything into reaper or Jriver.
If your tv have hdmi out you could do the same.

In the end you could use FIR preset for everything the only drawbacks being you'll need some other gear to acquire ( but hdmi input card should not be this costly i presume), you'll have an overall delay to your system: it will respond slower with a delay equal to the latency needed for the FIR.

The other answer is to forget bluray, invest in some ( external or internal computer) digital media readers ( bluray, dvd rom, cd rom) and connect them to the pc running reaper, use Jriver as global player ( audio and video in place of bluray) and use an audio loopback driver ( vincent burel 'audio cable' comes to mind -freeware) to input audio in reaper.

This is one scenario, others can be thoughts of...( check vb audio soft offer for some inspiration).
In the end it'll depend of your needs and preference. This one of the strength of computer based system. But a weakness too as being completly open it is easy to get lost or sidetracked by options and possibility.

About your filters you could use steeper crossover slope with FIR there is no drawbacks from the filter algorythm themself ( except latency). My experience with direct radiators/ tweeter is that it help to limit drivers acoustic overlap and then limit lobing issues.
It can help. Or not. As other thing can come into play...

I've never played with an horn loaded system like yours and FIR but i bet it can be interesting: make a nice step response by time adjust the drivers ( and eq them flat individualy) and optimize the xover freq for good directivity match and lower lobing behavior i would expect to be very rewarding.

But i drift to subject which should be in the multiway forum.

Last edited by krivium; 22nd September 2020 at 12:52 PM.
Old 22nd September 2020, 07:19 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your helpful comments. I continue to learn. Here is me thinking - bluray has toslink connector, so does Apogee (but it's called ADAT), connect them together and expect them to work. I understand now that this is not possible.
I can still use the analogue out from BD player & analogue into Apogee.
There are several plug-ins in Reaper which I can explore / play with - a declick for LP listening.
I'll continue listening and playing with this arrangement.
JRiver was a consideration before this PC & Apogee came along and could be used in the future.

Again, thanks for taking the time to explain options.
Old 24th September 2020, 01:48 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Well no this is not possible to connect optical connectors and expect this to work without checking the kind of transfer protocol: multiple transfer protocol use the same kind of conductors ( optical fiber) but are not all cross compatible (eg: adat and spdif/ toslink are not , but aes/ebu and Spdif ( wire) can be ( with some additional gear).

The Adat on Rosetta is here for multichannel purpose mainly ( these units often replace analog taperecorder in studios) as Adat is a widely used interface in pro world.

I think it is wise for the moment to use the bluray as an analog source ( the time you get used to the whole installation): the Rosetta AD sounds good at 96khz and you won't loose too much in quality if Bluray converters are ok.

It is possible to transfer bluray audio in realtime digital to your pc for sure but it'll probably make the system use a bit tiring (at least at first):
If you have a mixed use of bluray and cd you'll need to make 2 more sets of filters at 44100hz and 48000hz and load the one needed depending on source as it could introduce conflicts with the setup you have dialed now in reaper ( 96khz).
So you'll have to load differents projects in reaper (eg: cd and video) and change the clock source ( the Lynx and Rosetta slave to bluray digital stream).

Theorically the clock signal will be of lesser quality than Lynx's and/or Apogee's clock but the Apogee is supposed to re condition the incoming wordclock for the better ( it has a dedicated reclocking circuit iirc) and there shouldn't be this much difference in the end.

An other solution could be to use a realtime resampler but it will induce other tradeoff: hardware is going to be costly (Mytek had a 'good' sounding one for something like 2000euros...), software could need a bit of audio routing and will induce another source of latency.

Another solution could be to use another DAW than Reaper: Sequoia was able to load and play different kind of frequency at the same time...

There is this is sure other options possible... only your way of using your system can tell which one is for you.

About vinyl i don't use realtime plug ins for treatment. I first digitalize through Lake converters then i treat them offline using Ozone RX ( pro cleaning dedicated sofware). I then store the files and play them directly from SSD HD.
Saves on my precious mc needle life and allow High Definition recording of vinyl ( 96khz/24bit as you ).

I found that keeping physically rotating device at minimum in my pc ( only cooling fans and psu / semi passive) made difference to quality ( so SSD for storage).

Last edited by krivium; 24th September 2020 at 02:02 PM.

Apogee Rosetta 800 +Hide this!Advertise here!