Low Noise DSP - Summer 2020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Active crossovers are increasing in popularity, and present an opportunity for easier access into diy audio. Their comparative simplicity over passives is eclipsed only by the lack of plug and play DSP boards on the market. To this end I'm wondering if folks could recommend a board that matches the following.

Under $200

Able to apply LR4, PEQ, delay

Low noise analog IO (2x4) - suitable for high efficiency (96db+) speakers when used between pre and amp.

Plug and play - no soldering, ready to go software

Regards,
Shawn

Last edited:
I don't know of any cover made by Bryston, but it's normally not a cheap brand. All cheap dsps only mimic passive cross overs, and add delay and eq.

Bryston 10B is a GREAT analogue crossover, but unfortunately, it looks like Bryston discontinued it and replaced it with their digital crossover BAX-1 ($3500). Vendors who still have 10B stock are selling them for >$5K.

My 10B is very old, and all the rotary switches are developing contact problems despite several repair attempts with silver paste, etc over the years. Bryston has 20 year warranty, but only for original purchasers.

I have serious doubts that digital XO from DBX and Behringer can sound as transparent as Bryston, but I will play with the DBX Driverack PA2 while looking for a good-condition Bryston on the used market.

Bryston10B by drjlo2, on Flickr

Last edited:
PCM1702-J2

There PCM1702U chips on sale on ebay from a French seller that are marked J2. What kind of selection grade is that?

I have seen several L grades of other PCM chips, particular in midrange Denon players. That seems to be be L = low as opposed to L = better than K (there are a few examples of K2, though).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.