Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Testing for DAC noise
Testing for DAC noise
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2020, 03:59 PM   #11
stew1234 is offline stew1234  United States
diyAudio Member

Testing for DAC noise
I plan to box it up eventually in a metal case. I have looked into r-cores, but they are tough to source in the US. Audiophonics has them for US voltage. After checking again, it looks like they have 30VA r cores with 15v and 9v secondaries. I'd like slightly higher VA, but if running dual mono and one transformer to each the DAC and one to clock that should be plenty of power.

The Anteks have an electrostatic shield and shield band around the outside, which I thought might be better than the "naked" Avel Lindberg transformers I was using. I have read about getting custom ones made with extra primary windings and may try that from SumR at some point. Canterbury Windings has a big delay due to Covid and Piltron is probably cost-prohibitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
Torroid transformers, particularly Antek (maybe the lowest cost option available), are not the best for minimizing AC-line noise incursion IME. Again, I would suggest R-cores.

Also, most power conditioners are not great. The one I mentioned previously is the one to get (used from ebay, as they are no longer made).

Another thing to consider is shielding. Dacs often sound cleaner if inside a metal box.

Cronus, if that's one of the PCB stacks in the pic, seemed noisy and jittery IME as compared to some other USB-to-I2S isolation and clock distribution options. At least though, some improvement was noticed with it placed inside a metal box. Still not my first choice.

Many voltage regulators operating as a single stage do not have sufficient PSRR to deeply suppress line frequency harmonics. Don't know about the ones you have there, but an FFT should show if line harmonics are an issue at all.

Last edited by stew1234; 21st May 2020 at 04:03 PM.

Testing for DAC noiseHide this!Advertise here!